• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game won't build

T

Tecky

I'm trying to build my GameMaker game on Windows, but I can't even get it to run, forget about exporting it. It works on Mac OS, so I know there's not an endless loop in the game code or something. I've tried on two Windows machines, both of which had Windows 10.

If i try to build or run the game, it starts loading and gets to the terminal output of "Writing Chunk... BGDN." I tried letting it load and doing something else, and it loaded for 5h until I decided it was just not going to work. There is no error message, no compile errors, nothing.
For the Windows, platform settings, I have double checked and made sure, the Visual Studio location is pointed at the right vsvars32.bat, following this tutorial: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186048-Setting-Up-For-Windows

I'm not sure what difference it makes what the default packaging type is, but I've tried all of them, and I've double checked I'm using the newest Runtime.
The IDE is IDE v2.3.1.542 and I'm trying to make a VM (not YYC) build.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Roldy

I'm trying to build my GameMaker game on Windows, but I can't even get it to run, forget about exporting it. It works on Mac OS, so I know there's not an endless loop in the game code or something. I've tried on two Windows machines, both of which had Windows 10.

If i try to build or run the game, it starts loading and gets to the terminal output of "Writing Chunk... BGDN." I tried letting it load and doing something else, and it loaded for 5h until I decided it was just not going to work. There is no error message, no compile errors, nothing.
For the Windows, platform settings, I have double checked and made sure, the Visual Studio location is pointed at the right vsvars32.bat, following this tutorial: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186048-Setting-Up-For-Windows

I'm not sure what difference it makes what the default packaging type is, but I've tried all of them, and I've double checked I'm using the newest Runtime.
The IDE is IDE v2.3.1.542 and I'm trying to make a VM (not YYC) build.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

The IDE version is 2.3.1.542 but what is the runtime version you are using? Help->About.
1615266750342.png

What happens if you just try to run a Demo? You can download them through GMS2:
1615266859939.png

rIKmAN

Thanks! Yes, I can run a demo.
Visual Studio is not needed if you are just trying to run using VM.

Can you post the full output of your compiler log?
Use the "Code" button in the toolbar above where you type your repy to put it in code tags.

Do you have any backgrounds, and if so how big are they?

Last edited: