• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Window takes 1 minute or longer to open

R

Robotnick

IDE version is 2.2.1.375 and Runtime is 2.2.1.287

I am not sure what would even cause this problem, my game is still relatively small, the actual build itself is finished within 5-10 seconds, but after running my build(F5) 3-4 times the game window starts taking 1-2 minutes to open.

After rebooting my PC the problems is gone for the first few builds.

I tried looking at settings and running other runtimes, and cleaning (ctrl + f7) but the problem persists. I think it may be something in temp files that are created that get cleared when my pc is reboot.

Its really frustrating not being able to make small tweaks and run the game quickly, and instead having to wait for the game window to open.

Any hints as to where I should look to fix this issue pleeeease.

R

Robotnick

apparently even after closing game maker, i just discovered, that the game window can appear. so its running/loading in the background for like 1 minute before it even appears?

R

Robotnick

I am having an issue where when i run(F5) my game, it builds to completion relatively quick, but the game window doesnt open for a few minutes. Generally when i reboot my computer it would fix the issue. It was annoying but it worked. But now it is happening more frequently and it is frustrating when trying to test changes.

The client and runtime are both updated to the most recent stable builds. I have also tested on both the steam and desktop versions.

Has anyone else had this problem with their game builds?

B

Bayesian

I've been having this on my laptop very rarely. It takes 3 to 10 mins and sometime never starts. restarting GMS once or twice fixes it

R

Robotnick

rebooting gamemaker doesnt fix the problem for me, only rebooting my computer. which after 3-4 reboots a day is starting to get annoying, i also made a fresh windows install and fresh gm2 install less than a month ago. I think its something behind the scenes with one of the temp files and have been looking through the logs, cant find anything to indicate why it takes a long time to run the game.

I

immortalx

You could try temporarily disabling virus and threat protection or at least manually excluding the game build folder.

R

Robotnick

dont have any antivirus software, just the windows defender, and I have windows set to full permissions for gamemaker, I am going to try to find all the stuff I need to put in a support ticket. but I feel like they need some sort of indication of the cause other wise its just guess work.

R

Robotnick

I just did a fresh windows install, and I am still having the problem.

I also tried doing an android build. The android builds take 30-40 seconds, which, for android builds is normal. I am probably just going to download and install the extension that lets you live test your game after making changes.

I am really sad right now. because if this problem persists, it means my next game i would be considering a different game engine. like unity :confused:

I

immortalx

That's really odd. Take a look at Preferences->General Settings->Paths. What do you have in there? Have you changed anything from the default GMS install?

R

Robotnick

All the paths are default. I just did a complete reinstall of windows and GM2. made sure to install GM2 on the primary drive and the issue happened right away. then I went back in and added all the path folders to windows defender exceptions, and even tried completely turning windows defender off, I am completely at a loss as to what the root cause could be. The only hint in the ui.log is that a thread gets suspended and resumed a couple times before the game runs. I even tried just running the game with cmd directly and the same thing happens. it does a normal compile until the end then just freezes here

Stats : GMA : Elapsed=1029.356
Stats : GMA : sp=29,au=5,bk=2,pt=0,sc=19,sh=0,fo=2,tl=0,ob=24,ro=13,da=0,ex=0,ma=46,fm=0x4000B2046B7802A0

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe DONE (0)
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: T:/PixelGolf_7F066EA8\MainOptions.json
R://windows/Runner.exe -game "S:/PixelGolf_7A238FBF_VM\PixelGolf.win"

(also ZYX drives and even WVU drives have become permanent...) not sure if that has anything to do with it, its happened before i ran into this problem though.

I have a support ticket in, and usually its something with antivirus software.

I

immortalx

I don't get anymore than 3 virtual drives (XYZ) and they always get removed. You seem to have too many, and if they're permanent as you say, that usually means that the build doesn't get to the subst command. Does it do that in all projects, or only on your current game project? If it's the latter, I would test that specific project on at least one other PC.

R

Robotnick

It happens in all projects, including fresh new ones. Ive been trying it in empty project even. and i still get this problem. Its gotta be some sort of windows setting or something local to me causing the problem.

here is my compiler log, it freezes right before the setting gamepad count to 12, and then " Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0" and "Not shutting down steam as it is not initialise" happen after the game runner gets closed

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe DONE (0)
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/PixelGolf_7F066EA8\MainOptions.json
X://windows/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/PixelGolf_469967EF_VM\PixelGolf.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12            
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=9
Total memory used = 10174546(0x009b4052) bytes
Entering main loop.
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
Not shutting down steam as it is not initialised
Ive tried unplugging every device except the mouse and it still tries to set gamepad count to 12.

:edit: also is there a way i can give 'immortalx' a positive review of some sort, you have given me more replys and direction than yoyo support, and im emailing them back and forth.

I

immortalx

I really don't have a clue what's going on. If it was some hardware issue, like a failing HD or faulty memory module, I guess other applications would have issues too. Don't quit though, I'm sure your issue will eventually be fixed.
Thanks for the kind words and you don't need to thank me. If I was of any help you would have had your problem fixed :D

R

Robotnick

this is the worst. I have had this problem for almost 2 months now... I submitted another bug report to yoyo, I am frustrated that my problem isnt being taken seriously and they arnt responding to my emails. I have to submit a new bug report if i want a response.

R

Robotnick

im pretty convinced the problem is this "Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12" in the compile.

Im not sure how to solve it though. I unplugged my controller and deleted the driver for it even. and removed all devices minus the keyboard and mouse

R

Robotnick

OK so. I am 99% sure i fixed the issue. I deleted all of these random devices, cleaned the and ran the build, it ran normally without any problems. my keyboard stopped working, so the problem is my keyboard, which is insane to me. I replugged my keyboard and it reinstalled all the device drivers. and i ran gamemaker again and the problem is still fixed. I assume at some time in the next bit it start taking a long time to build again and I will try this again/unplug my keyboard and run the game just to see what happens and confirm that this is the fix.

Attachments

R://windows/Runner.exe -game "S:/PixelGolf_7A238FBF_VM\PixelGolf.win"
X://windows/Runner.exe -game "Y:/PixelGolf_469967EF_VM\PixelGolf.win"
I checked my Output logs and I get the same output as you except for these lines above. (I don't see these lines at all)

I'm using the latest Beta version/runtimes though.

im pretty convinced the problem is this "Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12" in the compile.
I've seen this line in my output logs for as long as I can remember, doesn't seem to cause any problems i believe.

EDIT: Was just writing this then saw your post about the keyboard - very unusual but hope it works for you.

I was going to say that it might be something to do with the networking on your computer. In the past, I've come across computers that take a long time to connect to mapped / network drives such as the temp X: Y: Z: drives that GMS 2 creates when making a build.

If the keyboard thing doesn't work, you could try disabling networking and/or updating network drivers, see if that makes a difference.

R

Robotnick

keyboard confirmed. i had the issue pop up again and I just unplugged my keyboard and tried a build. worked fine, plugged my keyboard back in and it didnt get the issue again right away. but eventually i did so i just unplugged it and plugged it back in right away. and it build normally again. Im reinstalling the drivers to see if that completely removes the issue. I cannot believe that my keyboard could cause such a nuisance.

That is an unusual bug alright.

Is your keyboard non-standard in any way? Do you have any other keyboards you can test with?

Are your computer hardware drivers (especially motherboard for example) all up to date.

R

Robotnick

all my drivers are up to date, and its a corsair k55, its got macro keys and media buttons, nothing crazy. I installed the corsair software once i found out that the issue is the keyboard. It still breaks after some time. but i just need to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in. I have no sweet clue guys. its kinda of a ridiculous situation. I was getting so frustrated.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Good investigative work. Glad you got an understanding of what was going on.