• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Game Too Small on Android, Options?

T

twalkerp

Making my first game for android, just a couple of days in but decided to export to android to make sure everything is working. The game looks fine on PC but on android it is way too small.

What are my options to make the game bigger on android? Will the user have to scroll around? Any suggestions? Current viewport is 1440x800

https://imgur.com/G5ZVPkX

samspade

Without more it is hard to say for sure, but it is likely that you will have to consider resolution sizes more carefully.

For example, and I'm making up sizes and resolutions that may or may not exist but the principle is accurate, lets say you have a 20 inch monitor that is 1920 x 1080. and a 5 inch phone that is 1920 x1080. Even though the resolution is the same, the game window is four time smaller. A button which might be big enough (especially when using a mouse) on the 20 inch monitor might not be usable at all on the 5 inch phone.

Another issue that comes up is that while GM will automatically scale the game, if your current view and resolution is 1440 x 800 and you go to a phone that is 1280, 720, it will be scaled down and look much smaller. You might actually have to resize your camera to deal with this (as in literally show a slightly smaller/larger/different size of game screen).