• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Game Time/Progress Management

elvinAlex6

Hi! I'm kind of new to Game Design, so I haven't figured this out already.

How can I manage game progress based on the time that passed in real life?

An example of this behavior could be mobile games in which the player has to wait a certain amount of time for some life refill. This happens even if the game is closed. I think that an internet-based clock could do the trick, but that may be annoying if players don't always have an internet connection. And I don't know if the device's local time could be used for that purpose consistently, given that it could be manipulated by the player.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
You've mentioned both of the options you have. Either connect to a server online and retrieve the time that way or rely on the local time on the device (which, as you said, can be manipulated). Not really any other way of doing this.

elvinAlex6

Alright, I will try one of those methods. Thank you very much for replying!
In case I find another way around, I will let you know.