• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Game testers

Hi Gamemakers!
I've submitted my game to all websites that offer free game testing and I am not getting any feedback. I can't afford to pay for testing (unemployed currently). My reviews on Play store say that "controls lag to the point it cannot be played", however it runs smoothly on all of my devices and on my friends' devices as well. I don't have any controls other than tap and scroll/swipe.
Any advice how to get someone to confirm that the game does indeed lags horribly?

Just in case, game name Floria Virtual Garden
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=yourfloria.com.Floria.game

Thank you!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You should bump up your Android minimum version to at least 7.1.1 (API 25) to weed out the lowest end. Android 4.0 devices are almost a decade old at this point, and given the amount of graphics in the game the last time I met you, I can guarantee you that it will slow to a crawl on them. On top of that, 4.0-4.2 devices don't have TRIM, and I have first-hand experience with what happens on a device like that. After a few weeks or months of use, they will slow down and eventually crash on almost any non-system app. If you have tested your game on at least 4 different devices of varying vintages (up to 5 years old) and you don't see the issue, chances are that your game is just fine, and there is nothing you can do about the complaints.

A lot of novice Android developers set low bars for minimum API versions, thinking that it would help reach a wider audience and be "more inclusive". Instead they invite junk-grade clientele who leave negative reviews about slowdowns and crashes caused not by the app itself, but by devices well past their prime. These same people also tend to pirate apps, get malware from dubious sources and unpatched exploits, have hard-to-replicate runtime issues, and never buy anything. Sure, you got a "wider audience", but the result is more people that you are better off NOT catering to in the first place.

Thank you Frosty! My minimum SDK is 14. My main testing device is LG g5, 6.0 , I've purposely used an older phone and it runs very smoothly on it. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
If I raise the minimum, would that stop updates for those who already installed ?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
My minimum SDK is 14.
The SDK number is NOT the same as the Android version number. A minimum SDK of 14 is equivalent to Android 4.0, which is what I saw on Google Play.
My main testing device is LG g5, 6.0 , I've purposely used an older phone and it runs very smoothly on it.
A quick search reveals that LG G5 has manufacturer-supplied updates up to Android 8.0 Oreo. I would suggest upgrading to that.
If I raise the minimum, would that stop updates for those who already installed ?
When you raise the minimum SDK number for new versions, users whose Android version falls behind it will be unable to get them. Dropping support for older APIs happens regularly on mobile platforms to help move development forward and reduce legacy-induced problems.

You can use App Statistics on Google Play to see what Android versions your app's downloads come from, then decide how much you should raise the minimum SDK number from there. Don't try to please everyone in this, find out who your most valuable users are and please those.

woods

I don't have any controls other than tap and scroll/swipe
typically im not one to sit around and arrange flowers all night ;o)
but i can tell you that your game runs beautifully on my 10yr+ old stylo3 (android version 7)

when i tried to swipe the screen sideways in the garden area, it only moved a little bit, but then i noticed the arrows at the bottom, which pan the screen perfectly.
the bad review most likely didnt take notice of these buttons at the bottom of the screen.

next thing i noticed... i was an hour in... and zero lag
your game runs without a hitch for me ;o)
+1

Dear Woods! Your comment has put a big smile on my face, loved the wording!
typically im not one to sit around and arrange flowers all night ;o)
Thank you so much for giving it a run and letting me know there was no lag! Nobody I know has experienced lag.

Dear FrostyCat, thank you so much for always replying with such knowledgeable comments! You need a badge that says EXPERT!

The SDK number is NOT the same as the Android version number. A minimum SDK of 14 is equivalent to Android 4.0, which is what I saw on Google Play.
I don't know where I can set the Android version limit in Gamemaker.
A quick search reveals that LG G5 has manufacturer-supplied updates up to Android 8.0 Oreo. I would suggest upgrading to that.
Ai, I have an unblocked phone that is still tied into AT&T and it can not be updated unless I am on AT&T...so I am stuck on 6.0 unless I root it (dont want to). Love that phone anyway.
You can use App Statistics on Google Play to see what Android versions
I check them daily...99% of crashes are from Huawei. Bad reviews though come from Android v 8-10, all about the lag/controls.

HeadlessOne

Hi Floria,

Firstly i would like to say the game is very beautiful and it is clearly a labor of love that has had alot of time spent on it.

the comments i list below are me being as critical as possible to give you the best feedback i can to make your game the best it can be... you should be very proud of what you have accomplished thus far and i don't wish to offend.

I have a pretty modern Huawei ELE - L09 (aka P30) which is a reasonably modern phone and i think perhaps some peoples perceptions of the game being laggy are down to:
a. the low framerate of some of the animated assets (the water in particular on the main screen is probably the main culprit). the animated bees, birds and lillys all move at a good frame rate so i can tell the app is not lagging but the water i think is just right at the wrong speed, perhaps getting a smoother animation for this or bluring between frames might help. another option might be to slow it down quite abit more to 1/2 or 1/4 speed... sounds silly but i think then it will be obviously an intentional choice to have the frame rate slower then rest of the game.
b. your approach to horizontal scrolling hasn't quite hit the mark... if you swipe from complete left to complete right it swipes as i would expect but if i start 1/3rd of the way in... or drag without letting go it dosen't move. I think perhaps you are waiting for the person to let go of there swipe before figuring out what they want to do and this is part of the laggy feeling people were getting. I think you need to perhaps change it so that once you've confirmed its nolonger a tap (afew frames) then immediatly start moving the screen with the players gestures.

Other items

1: Once i made it to the seed selection screen the the tutorial hand seemed to indicate it would like me to click and drag my chosen seed to the pot, but it was more of a tap to bring up the seed and then a tap and drag it once it has popped up. perhaps you could change the tutorial so it first asks you to tap to open the packet and then once the player as preformed that action move to the part where it drags?. It might also be good to allow people to drag directly from when the seed is in the down position?. I think this problem was perhaps exasperated by the fact that the "locked" seeds were interspersed with the usable seeds in that pretty pattern... I originally assumed that the different coloured evelopes were just that way for stylistic reasons and not because some of the seeds were currently unavailable... perhaps leaving slots empty with a button to goto the store or a lock symbol with some information on how/when these would be unlocked would be more obvious?

2: When i was stuck on the item above... (i thought perhaps it was an error as you discribed you were having with huawei phones) i restarted the app, this i believe advanced the tutorial to the next step which ment even though i had yet to complete that action i was nolonger being told that was something i had to do ( i mean... i knew but tutorials are supposed to be there to help the lowest common denominator get aquainted with the game... i know my nana would love this game once she knew how to operate it but getting her to that point takes a lot of hand holding, and if at any point its not working she would get frustrated and give up)

3: when i got to the florest studio part and was reading the card i could still interact with the vase / objects in behind the card while reading it.

4: I think your choice to make all the "critical ui buttons" stylistically the same as the rest of the game is aesthetically really pleasing and i think it dose add something to the sort of exporation kind of feel but it sucks for readability... the tiny shell for the sound menu took forever too find. I think things like the buttons to scroll left and right on the main screen, The compass for the minimap, the sound menu, the help article and the exit buttons to most of the menus need to be differentiated from the background perhaps use less detail and put a nice thick outline around them and perhaps shove them all in a menu bar along the top or bottom so they are availible at all times and easy to find. you actually already have some great help resources like the help article thing and the mini map but i think they need to be in for face, easier to find.

5. you could improve the readability of the pots, If someone were to leave and come back to the game on another day it is not immediately clear at what stage your pot is at (undug,dug,planted,watered). The flag saying the name of the plant i think should come up when it has been planted rather then after watering... i also think if someone trys to do any of the actions out of order some kind of pop up should remind them what step they need to complete... like if you goto the seed area before you've dug the pot it will remind you that you need to dig a hole first... in some cases you actually have this but you've placed the message at the bottom of the screen where my fat fingers just cover it up (also thin scrawling stoneish coloured text over cobble stones is not easily legible). Could also perhaps implement a small glow around the correct tool if someone is on that screen but hasn't done anything for a few seconds it will give them a hint as to what to do next.

6. The compass in the top right dosen't stick to the screen but instead lags behind it slightly when you are scrolling the main screen left toright, I assume it is setting its x&y to some view port variables perhaps of an object that comes after it in the order of operations?. it might be good to change the compasses position in the same script that you use to scroll the screen so that the happen at the same time as the screen moves... same for the scroll buttons at the bottom.

7. The pearl mini game should perhaps come up with a tutorial that pops up the first time you discover it explaining the rules

hope that all makes sense, if you require further elaboration on any of my thoughts please let me know.

Hi HeadlessOne!
Awesome, very detailed and structured feedback! Much appreciated! I will be addressing each point, absolutely. Now I know what I need to work on.
Some things I have no idea on how to improve, such as compass lagging, I tried everything and it always lags behind following the camera.
Thing about the lake animation is that it is only 4 frames sprite looping, and I thought it would be ok and no one would care about it. I've never animated anything in my life before I started on Floria, and, as the matter of fact, I didn't know one thing about coding and game developing last year. I just dove in learning and started to build Flora from the start, not even creating testing games first. So it is my very very first game and there is tons that I don't know.
But I will work on fixing issues you've pointed out. If you have more feedback for me, I would absolutely love to hear it! Hit me hard, lol!
Thank you!

HeadlessOne

No worries, glad i could help... just so you know you don't have to fix everything i've mentioned, i am not THE authority on game design and some of these things are perhaps more personal preferance rather then solid rules if that makes sense.

For the compass lag here is a topic of someone who had a similar issue that might be able to give you some insight into why this issue happens and how to perhaps fix it.

Thing about the lake animation is that it is only 4 frames sprite looping, and I thought it would be ok and no one would care about it.
perhaps one sneaky way you could get around it without having to animate a bunch more frames is to stack frame on-top of each other and then fade from one frame into the next? could do this with by just step by step decreasing the alpha of the top one until its gone then swap them around and start on the next frame.

I didn't know one thing about coding and game developing last year. I just dove in learning and started to build Flora from the start, not even creating testing games first. So it is my very very first game and there is tons that I don't know.
wow, that is fantastic!!! for your first game you have done unbelievably well... i really commend you for sticking to it and getting this far.

Here's what I think.
50+ reviews, with an average of 3.5/5 stars.
5k downloads.
Ultra-Uber niche genre.
Honestly, this is not bad at all, especially for a first game and a new designer!
It's great that you still want to improve and receive criticsm as well as you do, it really is.
But I tell you, as a guy who worked in all kind of art-related fields most his life, you REALLY gotta learn to ignore the unconstructive/hurtful/plain bad review/comment.
You should be tapping yourself on the back and bursting the bubbles (if you're of age, of course 😂 ) and having a cheer to the (statistically) 3.5k people that really enjoyed your game and had a good time doing....whatever you do to keep plants alive (not my forte).

Also, I often find, as indie devs, that we get more "XP" wrapping a project up and moving on to the next one than continuously trying to add up content. Fixing bugs and stuff is totally fine, tho.
Not saying you should not still improve it or anything like that, but for a first project, it does feel quite polished.

Oh my... @Slow Fingers! Thank you! I thought my game stats sucked , (still do, lmao), but I got this weird drive to get it going anyway. Thanks for letting me know that the stats are not completely abysmal. I am looking at "compare to peers" stats and it's horrible, except growth. Meanwhile, I've already created a new game, soon to be released, Floria Paradise Islands. https://www.yourfloria.com/floria-islands
I am indeed entering a Ultra-Uber niche genre; I am coining the new game genre " Feel good games", but this WAS my plan from the start, create something new. I want to make something that players can idly look at after a stressful day and just drift away in their thought.
At this point I want to express my thanks to this community and to GMS creators... with your help I was able to create something that I didn't think I can in a million of years.
Thank you guys for being awesome!
(if you're of age, of course 😂 )
P.S. I am of age and probably beyond. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds very good.
But the truth is, if you find your niche, however small it is, you're going to have customers that eventually recognize the brand itself "Oh, a new game by Floria", and download it just for that.
Building a fanbase isn't going to take just a couple weeks, it's an ongoing/never-ending process. No matter how sad it is, we are not The Beatles, it takes a while to get some recognition, especially in this age where there is 12 kinds of everything to choose from.
And let me also assure you, I have played in front of 5k people, and that is a heck of a crowd! That's a lot of people!!! Your stats seem totally fine.
And yes, this community is the bomb. :)

@HeadlessOne : I have fixed some things based on your feedback, such as (buttons, dragging envelopes, pot tags and readability, fonts and more ) and I am already getting a positive feedback! Thank you for taking your time and writing such insightful comments! If you have more for me, that would be great!
@Slow Fingers thanks for adding fuel to my fire! "Heck of the crowd" comment gave me a different perspective.

Last edited: