• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game speed has messed up! HELP!

Hello guys!! I have a queston that is killing me, last week i tested my game and recorded some gameplays to upload to my social medias and gamejolt, everything GOOD! But, i open my project today and the coordinates movements (X,Y) have slow down, like gravity of moon, and, my animation speed goes so fast!! o_O i tried uninstalling GM2 and installing it again, but this issue is still happening!!

This happened to me when i tried to export my game local package and creating a new project and importing everything as well, but this issue could never get fixed!! I've tried game_set_speed function, but it's not the same, MY GAME FEELING HAS GONE! OMG T.T .....

Can somebady help me PLEASE, i'm gonna cry :(

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
How are you using game_set_speed? Knowing that would be an ideal starting point for troubleshooting.

For reference, if you want your game to run at a steady 60 FPS, you'd use this:
Code:
game_set_speed(60, gamespeed_fps);

How are you using game_set_speed? Knowing that would be an ideal starting point for troubleshooting.

For reference, if you want your game to run at a steady 60 FPS, you'd use this:
Code:
game_set_speed(60, gamespeed_fps);
Hey!! How are you?? Well, since i am developing my game i never used this before, i just used it today because this issue, but my game was running fine last time, and i tested it today and i got this speed issue, so, reading some forums i found some references that takes to me to game_set_speed function, i have tried with:
Code:
game_set_speed(60,gamespeed_fps);
and

Code:
game_set_speed(15000,gamespeed_milliseconds);
but this never got my game feeling back!! I change my monitor, so i thought this could be the effect and i watched my last gameplay vide of the game, and, i was right, my game feeling has been lost!!

for some reason my sprites animation goes so fast, i think x2 o x3

and when i move my character, it goes slower than before!!

1- my sprites animations go faster, x2 or x3 aprox :S
2- my coordinate X,Y moves have slow down a lot!!!

So my game feeling is really weird right now! :S :S :S

As i said before, i've tried 2 version of game_set_speed, but this should not be necessary because my game was running fine until today that i just tested it again!
So, i used this function to try to fix the issue, but i couldn't fix it!

I check my settings and everything is fine, my fps has always been 120fps in configuration windows, but i don't know why this happen in GM2 :S

:(

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you didn't use game_set_speed before... where and how did you set up the game speed until now? What is the game speed you defined in your game's settings? (Options -> Main -> Main Options -> General -> Game frames per second) I'm unsure if that's what you meant regarding the 120 FPS setting, as 120 FPS sounds a bit out there for an average desktop game (60 is more or less the norm).

If you didn't use game_set_speed before... where and how did you set up the game speed until now? What is the game speed you defined in your game's settings? (Options -> Main -> Main Options -> General -> Game frames per second) I'm unsure if that's what you meant regarding the 120 FPS setting, as 120 FPS sounds a bit out there for an average desktop game (60 is more or less the norm).

this is what i set first when i started to create my game
Options -> Main -> Main Options -> General -> Game frames per second
i set it to 120 because there are monitors with 120Refresh rate, that's why!

So, after this issue happened i tried game_set_speed to try to fix it!

i have no clue how to go to my previous status in my game hehehe xD this is weird!

I've just tried right now 60fps in configuration window, and i commented the game_set_speed line, i've clean cache CTRL+F7 and it's still animations going faster x2 or x3, and my jump animation is still looking like in the moon! jump and falls very slow!!! Like slow motion but animations go fast! :S

My project is slowing down x,y objects movements and increasing animation speed by itself! i've never touched a line, i just play the game again and again last week and everything was fine! I played it today bacuse i wanted to update some objects and i found this! :(:(:(:(:(:(o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There are monitors with 240 Hz refresh rates too. Are you gonna set it to 240 now? :p

Jokes aside, that's a bad reason for making your game run at 120 FPS. This not only makes your game draw at that rate, but also run all logic at that rate. If you run your game on a low-end device that doesn't have enough processing power to keep up that frame rate, your game will lag - and I'm not talking about the refresh rate here, but the logic.

Choose a sane frame rate for your game's logic, not for the graphics. Monitors with high refresh rates will run games that run at a lower refresh rate just fine. If you seriously want your game to support high refresh rates, make your game's FPS variable and tie all of your game logic to delta timing. If you skimp on the delta timing, you'll cause more problems targeting high refresh rates than you'll solve.

Hey!! How are you?? Well, since i am developing my game i never used this before, i just used it today because this issue, but my game was running fine last time, and i tested it today and i got this speed issue, so, reading some forums i found some references that takes to me to game_set_speed function, i have tried with:
Code:
game_set_speed(60,gamespeed_fps);
and

Code:
game_set_speed(15000,gamespeed_milliseconds);
but this never got my game feeling back!! I change my monitor, so i thought this could be the effect and i watched my last gameplay vide of the game, and, i was right, my game feeling has been lost!!

for some reason my sprites animation goes so fast, i think x2 o x3

and when i move my character, it goes slower than before!!

1- my sprites animations go faster, x2 or x3 aprox :S
2- my coordinate X,Y moves have slow down a lot!!!

So my game feeling is really weird right now! :S :S :S

As i said before, i've tried 2 version of game_set_speed, but this should not be necessary because my game was running fine until today that i just tested it again!
So, i used this function to try to fix the issue, but i couldn't fix it!

I check my settings and everything is fine, my fps has always been 120fps in configuration windows, but i don't know why this happen in GM2 :S

:(
This is a little confusing to me...
  1. gamespeed_milliseconds is not a valid parameter. Maybe you mean gamespeed_microseconds?
  2. Even if you meant gamespeed_microseconds, why 15000? 60FPS would be roughly equivalent to 16667 microseconds. The way you would find microseconds from framerate would be (1 / [desired framerate]) * 10^6.
  3. Things like sprite animations and physics will always go faster at higher framerates because you've tied them to framerate. I'm assuming you've seen some footage of glitches happening in game physics when FPS is uncapped. This is because these things are tied to framerate. You can fix this by tying them to something other than the framerate, such as delta time. This can become fairly complex when you start dealing with things such as acceleration and gravity, so I recommend forgoing delta timing and capping at a more reasonable framerate like 60 if you're just starting out.

Last edited:
This is a little confusing to me...
  1. gamespeed_milliseconds is not a valid parameter. Maybe you mean gamespeed_microseconds?
  2. Even if you meant gamespeed_microseconds, why 15000? 60FPS would be roughly equivalent to 16667 microseconds. The way you would find microseconds from framerate would be (1 / [desired framerate]) * 10^6.
  3. Things like sprite animations and physics will always go faster at higher framerates because you've tied them to framerate. I'm assuming you've seen some footage of glitches happening in game physics when FPS is uncapped. This is because these things are tied to framerate. You can fix this by tying them to something other than the framerate, such as delta time. This can become fairly complex when you start dealing with things such as acceleration and gravity, so I recommend forgoing delta timing and capping at a more reasonable framerate like 60 if you're just starting out.
I just tried some values with this function to try to fix the game feeling my game had!! But i couldn't get it!

I have never used any code to set framerate speed or something like that, i've just set fps to 120 in my configuration settings and i developed my game and everything was fine!!

The real issue is not around game_set_speed because i have been developing my game without it along 4 months, and as i said, i just used it trying to fix this issue that comes today! My game was running fine last week, and i've just opened my GMS2 today to try my game and update some objects and.... tadaaaaa, i found this weird speed animation and coordinates issue!!!

This is how my game feels and looks!!

and this is how the game looks today, after closing and open GMS2 :S

This videos can explain better what i'm trying to say!

C

Cofefe

That looks pretty good, tbh.

But I never saw what it looked like before so IDK.
Definitely reduce your frame rate. 120 FPS is ridiculous and unnecessary imho. 60 FPS is already excessive.
Sometimes if your machine is running things in the background or if you have another program over it can impact your game's performance in ways that it wouldn't have before. But a game like this shouldn't be effected that much if you have a browser open or something like that. Like others have said reduce your frame rate and see if that helps.

That looks pretty good, tbh.

But I never saw what it looked like before so IDK.
Definitely reduce your frame rate. 120 FPS is ridiculous and unnecessary imho. 60 FPS is already excessive.
Sometimes if your machine is running things in the background or if you have another program over it can impact your game's performance in ways that it wouldn't have before. But a game like this shouldn't be effected that much if you have a browser open or something like that. Like others have said reduce your frame rate and see if that helps.
that is not the point! in the first video where everything runs fine the game has set 120fps

in the second video, animations go faster, watch closely, and i have tried setting to 60fps too but the result is the same as you can see in the last video! :S

The only new thing i've installed is an esea client, but i don't think this can affect my game, my game don't need such a power from a pc! I have a 9th core i5 with 16Gram corsshair and 4Gb GPU :S