• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game size manipulation - tinypng, quickbms, etc

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

How do you guys make your games smaller to ship?

I'm using tinypng to make my pictures smaller, but Gamemaker is the one that finally puts all the sprites in textures so it always ends up the same size.

If I do the HTML export, it's easy to just take the textures from the html folder and put them through the tinypng. It helps in loading the game and makes the game generally much faster, I highly recommend it.

BUT... In the Windows export (for example), the output is in the data.win file.
I can use the quickBMS file with the yoyogames.bms script to "extract" the data.win file, put the smaller pictures that I sent through tinypng inside, and reinsert it.

BUT... it doesn't work. No matter what you do with the assets, quickBMS always reinserts them to be the same size. Probably that's how it works.

Any ideas, suggestions?