• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Game runs on slower frame rate when using higher refresh rate than 60hz

O

Oatmeal

My game is set to run at fps of 60 but if I run it on my main pc which has a higher refresh rate monitor, it runs at 50 fps.

The refresh rate I am currently trying to run the game is 75hz and if I set the monitor to 60hz the game runs correctly. I have not tried any higher refresh rates. Sometimes the game runs fine on first try at the 75hz but if I close it and start again it gets stuck to the lower frame rate. I think this is a huge issue.

I found a similar bug reported here:
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29146

And was hoping this would really be fixed in the latest release of GMS2 but it is still happening. Anyone else experiencing this?

O

Oatmeal

I tested it more on the latest version and I think this happens less frequently. But it is still randomly locking the frame rate to 50 when I run the game.

P

ph101

so as you know while i heard 2.2.1. fixes some fps problems there is an issue with show_debug_overlay, triggered when game window loses focus.

B

Beechbone

Hey, I have a similar problem, and at first I assumed it was caused by incorrect timing due to Freesync. But the issue is exactly the same with Freesync disabled. Anyway, similar setup here 75Hz monitor, vsync-on, with game speed set to 75, I get a smooth consistent 75 capped fps, when I set game speed to 60 the performance just drops to flat 50 fps. What I noticed is that if you set game speed to whatever equal or higher number than your current refresh rate the game will cap at the refresh rate and will give you smooth performance. So if you for example set game speed to 144, but your monitor is set to 75Hz, the game will run at 75 fps (all of that considering vsync is on of course).

I looked the linked bug and it says it's verified on Runtime 2.2.1.268, but I'm thinking maybe it doesn't exactly cover what we're seeing, as I still got the issue. Also it occurs both in windowed mode and fullscreen.

Do you still see it on 2.2.1? Maybe worth a separate bug?

I was thinking about a workaround, which is set game speed to let's say 240, turn vsync-on and divide all speed-related code by room_speed, which would keep everything at the same speed regardless of actual fps BUT I noticed room_speed is only a legacy variable for GSM 1.4 stuff, so not keen on going that path after all. Doesn't seem like there's another variable in GMS2 that can do the same thing.