• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Refuses to Test when adding new objects (v2.2.5)

K

Kwehchan

Hey guys.

I am truly at my wits' end, and on the verge of crying.

I have a game object for storing a global list, score, etc, which I have placed in my game room, and which has been there since the beginning of the project. For the past couple of days, I have been working on a separate object to control a random powerup spawner. The spawner, so far, has been unsuccessful, and when placed in the room at the same time, the game would not run a test. After experimenting a few times, I ended up removing both the spawner object and the game object from the room; however, when placing the game object back in the room, despite it running just fine before, I now encounter the same problem with the test refusing to run.

I'm using DnD, but I've been through my code and blocks several times, and as far as I can see, nothing's been accidentally changed. In fact, I even put a completely blank test object within the room, with absolutely no code, and it generate the same issue - the test refuses to run. I've F7'd the project, run it in debugger, but nothing.

This is as far as it goes, before stopping. It's this particular line every time, regardless of what object I have in the room. Please help me.

Code:
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1689907s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 09/01/2020 00:20:53
"cmd"  /c subst Y: "C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1609920s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 09/01/2020 00:20:53
"cmd"  /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1639902s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378" started at 09/01/2020 00:20:53
Saving project to: C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted\Desserted.yyp
Saving 9 resources
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378/bin/Igor.exe"  -j=8 -options="C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Desserted_653F86DD\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\Lizzigoesglobal_2131929\local_settings.json
Failed to load Options from C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\Lizzigoesglobal_2131929\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Desserted_653F86DD\targetoptions.json
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe  /c /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8  /gn="Desserted" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Desserted_653F86DD" /zpuf="C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\Lizzigoesglobal_2131929" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="default" /o="Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM\options.ini"  /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted\Desserted.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/Desserted_653F86DD"
Reading project file....C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.

X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe DONE (0)
Release build
Options: Z:/Desserted_653F86DD\ExtensionOptions.json
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/Desserted_653F86DD\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe"  /c /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8  /gn="Desserted" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Desserted_653F86DD" /zpuf="C:\Users\kweh-\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\Lizzigoesglobal_2131929" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="default" /o="Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM\options.ini"  /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted\Desserted.yyp" /bt=run /rt=vm"
Reading project file....C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\kweh-\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Desserted\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM\Desserted.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
1 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_1.png...
2 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_2.png...
3 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_3.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=2415.2131
Stats : GMA : sp=38,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=18,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=112,fm=0xA20808280220

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe DONE (0)
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Desserted_653F86DD\MainOptions.json
X://windows/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/Desserted_E86F296_VM\Desserted.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=9

Last edited by a moderator:

Plisken

Create a backup of your project, then start deleting things (objects, rooms, sprites, or whatever else) that had been recently added. maybe there's some code somewhere you forgot about that's preventing the game from running? I don't really know what most of that run text means, but that's my suggestion.

if that doesn't work, make a backup of the project, then start a new project and import it and see what that does.

If not done already, you should make backups somewhat regularly. that way you don't lose too much work if something like this happens.

SoapSud39

If nothing else works, try making a new project and then copy-pasting all the DnD blocks over (alternatively, learn to code in GML, since it actually makes organization so much easier once you understand coding). There's probably a problem somewhere outside of what you've done or can with the code, caused by some faulty code you probably made. And then be careful with the object that you think caused the problem. If there's a component of it you're unsure of, do it over again instead of copying in buggy code (and if there's an effect you want with it that you're not sure of how to achieve, look up some tutorials, if you haven't already, instead of going for some dubious code that might not work).

I had a similar problem once, where I messed up something in an array, or maybe it was a for loop. And then when I tried to use the specific object that I was using the array to affect, the object would draw an old sprite I had taken out of the code completely. Weird, but it happens.

K

Kwehchan

Thank you both!

I will give both suggestions a try today.

My game would not convert over to the new 2.3 version, so I’m very tempted to just rebuild it entirely, after updating.