• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX Game randomly exits completely for no reason

Tony Brice

Hi guys,

I've got a game I've been working on for the last 8 weeks and a random problem has started cropping up over the last couple that I've got no idea how to track down. When I'm running the game it will sometimes just completely quit the application - for example when switching rooms is the most common. I've got no error messages anywhere when it does this - just a clean exit.

I've compiled to executable and tried this with the same random exit and I can't seem to trace the problem. Sometimes it will run for ages and i can jump back and forth between rooms just fine, other times it will load to title screen and then exit as soon as I try to start the game.

I've also tried running it in the debugger and had the problem occur almost straight away with the debugger not reporting any problems in any of the log windows.

I'm looking at memory use and the fps and it drops down to around 300 fps in chunks when it first runs but then its stable jumping between that and 350 or so afterwards. Memory use does not seem to be excessive or anything like that.

The game has 5 rooms and not that many sprites or objects compared to other games I've worked on in the past with GMS2.

Anyone had anything similar?

Pfap

hmmm, I don't have anything definitive; although, I remember some silent errors with switch statements in some game I was working on, but I can't recall the exact issue.

Tony Brice

I'll try switching out the switch statements (no pun intended) for if conditions and see if that changes it. Be an interesting bug to report if it does although I'm dubious as the game never exits at the same point. Even if run as a compiled application.

Pfap

I'll try switching out the switch statements (no pun intended) for if conditions and see if that changes it. Be an interesting bug to report if it does although I'm dubious as the game never exits at the same point. Even if run as a compiled application.
Did you figure it out?

Tony Brice

Unfortunately not yet. I've stepped away from the game for a week so I can come back to it with a clear head and start looking for the problem again.