• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game performance and project saving issues

W

Wintermute()

I've been working on a game for about 6-8 months now, so the amount of compiles etc has been huge, but little did I realise the sheer amount of files a GMS game can build up on your PC if you don't keep on top of maintaining your directories.

I've been getting some weird laggy performance issues lately with my game that were never there before, even after rolling back to versions I knew worked fine. Also, I have been getting GMS stop responding when trying to save a project sometimes. This weird performance told me something was up with my platform rather than my game code.

I use the 'clear cache' button semi-regulalry, though obviously not often enough! Using a free (auslogics) defragger I found my system drive was 20% fragmented. After defragging my whole drive I checked the windows user/game maker directory for both the versioning of projects and my gms cache. There were almost 2 million files in the cache and GMS projects directory produced since around july 2016! Seems GMS caches every single file in your game for every version of a project, regardless of whether the file has changed or not. I know there is a technical reason why caches are done on a project level rather than an asset level but boy, this can really cause you headaches if you don't keep on top of it!

Just thought I might post this in case someone else has some weird performance issues that they can find no real reason for, in their code.

Cheers,
W