• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Game on Mac VM using file sharing is blurry

pblpbl

Hi,
I tried setting up my game to be ran on MacOS by following this guide. https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186128-Setting-Up-For-macOS
I downloaded xcode, set up file sharing and remote login, and I was able to connect to my Mac. However, I noticed that when running my game on the Mac VM, everything was extremely blurry and pixelated even though I set the same game settings on MacOS as the ones on windows (interpolate pixels, use synchronization). I tried enabling/disabling retina, but the resolution of the game is still blurry. Checking the values of view_hport and view_wport show that the game still has the right camera resolution (2560x1440), so I don't know what the problem is. Can someone help?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Howdy partner,

try getting a real mac, I heard VM's have are really slow especially with macOS and have a lot of graphical problems and that's on top of not getting on Apple's bad side.

With lots of love,
Samantha

pblpbl

Have you tried resizing the application_surface?

surface_resize(application_surface, view_hport, view_wport);
I just tried that and it didn't work. I checked the surface width and height before calling that function and it was already set to 2560x1440, yet my app is still blurry :/

pblpbl

Here's a screenshot on windows. In both the windows and mac screenshot my viewport size is always 2560x1440, but my windows computer only has a resolution of 1920x1080 so this screenshot is in 1080p:
windows screenshot

My Mac has a resolution of 2560x1600, but the screenshot is only at 1280x800. The game's resolution seems to have been halved to 1280x720 making the text blurry.

mac screenshot

Last edited:
I wonder if it's to do with your texture pages being scaled down? What are your texture page settings for both windows and mac?

pblpbl

I wonder if it's to do with your texture pages being scaled down? What are your texture page settings for both windows and mac?
On both windows and mac it is at 2048x2048. I tried changing it to 4096x4096 but that didn't work. Additionally, I don't have any sprites larger than 2048x2048.

Ricardo

It's because GMS doesn't support Retina (Game options > macOS > Graphics > Enable Retina) when building for VM. It only work using YYC. I got this confirmed by YoYo Support and they said they'll add a note in the manual to make this clear.

pblpbl

It's because GMS doesn't support Retina (Game options > macOS > Graphics > Enable Retina) when building for VM. It only work using YYC. I got this confirmed by YoYo Support and they said they'll add a note in the manual to make this clear.
I'm currently having trouble using YYC on Mac. It says that my game (.app file) cannot open because there is no such file. Is it because I need the Apple Developer progam for the app/team ID?

Last edited:
Is it because I need the Apple Developer progam for the app/team ID?
From what I remember, yes. To get an app ID, you have to set up an app in itunes connect. There are also a whole load of certificates that have to be generated, downloaded and selected before it's possible to compile to mac.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I'm currently having trouble using YYC on Mac. It says that my game (.app file) cannot open because there is no such file. Is it because I need the Apple Developer progam for the app/team ID?
You can run/test programs on your own devices with the free Apple Developer account, you don't need the $99 developer account for local testing.

Last edited: