• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game not running

B

bombhawk

Hey, I'm pretty novice when it comes to Gamemaker, and the game I was working on will no longer run. I was making it in DnD, and other projects still run. The only changes I made were creating a new sprite and adding a few blocks, and I tried running after deleting them but it still didn't work. I'm using Gamemaker 2.3.1.409. When I run it says "Entering main loop.
Pause event has been registered for this frame
Pause event has been unregistered"

B

bombhawk

"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0999374s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 02/20/2021 13:04:35
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0769553s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 02/20/2021 13:04:35
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.1.409"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0779531s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.1.409" started at 02/20/2021 13:04:35
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.1.409/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Duel_ABBB6277\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\kamkramer_2415149\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Duel_ABBB6277\targetoptions.json
Setting up the Asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Duel" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Duel_ABBB6277" /zpuf="C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\kamkramer_2415149" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\kamkr\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Duel\Duel.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/Duel_ABBB6277"
We have a Zeus Project!
Found Project Format 2
ProjectFileWatcher:StartWatching:C:\Users\kamkr\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Duel
Started: 2/20/2021 1:04:38 PM
Finished: 2/20/2021 1:04:39 PM
Diff: 00:00:01.2377679
Loaded Project: Duel
finished.
Release build
Options: Z:/Duel_ABBB6277\ExtensionOptions.json
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/Duel_ABBB6277\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Duel" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Duel_ABBB6277" /zpuf="C:\Users\kamkr\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\kamkramer_2415149" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\kamkr\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Duel\Duel.yyp" /bt=run /rt=vm /64bitgame=false
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM\Duel.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ACRV
Writing Chunk... SEQN
Writing Chunk... TAGS
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... DFNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=1580.0863
Stats : GMA : sp=10,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=7,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=5,fm=0x200C48680020
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Duel_ABBB6277\MainOptions.json
X://windows/Runner.exe -game "Y:/Duel_2D5BCE7A_VM\Duel.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=6
Total memory used = 7581834(0x0073b08a) bytes
Entering main loop.
Pause event has been registered for this frame
Pause event has been unregistered

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Sounds like the game is starting properly.

What happens after this? Does the game window show up, or does nothing show up?

If you check Task Manager, is a Runner.exe process running? Your game may be stuck in an infinite loop right after it starts. Depending on at which point you enter an infinite loop, the game window may not show up.

Try running your game in debug mode and pausing it, if it does start. This should point you towards where it's hanging. You can deduce what's causing the issue from there. Usually, faulty loops that don't have a proper exit condition or endless cycles of instances creating instances which create instances which create instances... are the cause of infinite loops.

B

bombhawk

In case anyone sees this with a similar problem, I was just a total idiot and had set a variable (health) to 0 instead of 3 by accident, and the room was set to restart when the variable was equal to 0. I don't know why the game just didn't run, but good luck if you have a similar issue.

Tyg

Hey weve all been there, debugging is learning, i doubt anyone wrote a perfect script first time :)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The game did run, but as I said, was stuck in an endless loop. An endless loop of restarting the room, that is.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
In case anyone sees this with a similar problem, I was just a total idiot and had set a variable (health) to 0 instead of 3 by accident, and the room was set to restart when the variable was equal to 0. I don't know why the game just didn't run, but good luck if you have a similar issue.
The game window is created on the first draw event, so if you restart the room over and over before it gets a chance to draw, the window is never created.