• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game Not Running on Debug or Run

Hey there.

I've been working on a game between my desktop and laptop. My desktop hasn't had any issues until today, while my laptop would fail to "Run" the game about 25-50% of the time. I updated to the new patch today, and suddenly it fails to run 99% of the time on my desktop. If I run debug the game "launches" with a white screen. There are no syntax or compiling errors. Exporting the game to an EXE works perfectly fine - game launches just fine that way. Runtime is updated to the newest IDE.

Any thoughts? This has pretty much stalled all productivity.

Bumping. I'm on windows 10. Really want to get some work done today on this but am frustratingly unable to do it effectively without being able to test changes incrementally.

To add to this as well, it always hangs here (according to the output):
CreateColPairs took 0.000000s 1 usecs for 10 object types obj_col_numb=0 physobjcount=0 resizes 0 final size 0

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Do you remember the version number before the upgrade? If you do, download an old installer for that version from the Release Notes (scroll to the bottom and expand), then carry on working from that.

Do you remember the version number before the upgrade? If you do, download an old installer for that version from the Release Notes (scroll to the bottom and expand), then carry on working from that.
Thanks for the suggestion Frosty. I just attempted this and it's still hanging. The newest version added that line above, (createdColPairs), but now it's hanging here:
Collision Event time(microsecs)=2

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Then there is probably an infinite loop that you inadvertently introduced into your project. Look through the while and do-until loops and recursions in your code, especially those in collision events or collision checks, and see if any has the potential to become infinite.

Also, if you had been synchronizing your desktop and laptop working copies using something like Dropbox or Google Drive, there is also a chance that either or both copies have become corrupted through file access conflicts with the IDE and incomplete syncs. This is the reason why I recommend learning to use source control from day one of starting GML. A proper setup would not have timing conflicts or incomplete syncs, and even the slightest change has a clearly visible record.