• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Game Manual

nebkid

Not sure why but whenever i open the game manual it gets stuck loading with the loading icon. Yes i do use extensions that block javascript and XSS(no script ext) have whitelisted the game manual but still no dice. I am using firefox.

One thing i noticed is say i press F1 in the IDE it opens the manual in the browser to the required page no worries and loads the content. But then when i try to click on something else to read it will change the address in the address bar but will not actually load the content and will get stuck with the loading icon until i manually refresh the page then it will load. This is obtrusive and annoying and is stopping me from reading the manual because no one wants to refresh a page each time they want to read it.

Steps i have taken:
firefox browser:
- Whitelisted the game manual in no script. < no change
- Disabled all browser extensions and addons. < no change
-Extracted the game manual. < Runs in firefox no worries

Edge browser:
- works

I can browse the offline copy no worries but if i call the docs from the IDE it is when the issue occurs.
How to fix the issue? Not interested in using another browser ff is my default.

Also the search function is really slow that it is almost useless not sure if this occurs normally or is just because of the other issues that are happening.

Open online based manual: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=Content.htm < problems and issues as described above.

Open manual by pressing F1 and with the default settings used in GMS2: http://127.0.0.1:51290/index.htm#t=GameMaker_Language/GML_Reference/Asset_Management/Instances/instance_destroy.htm < issues same as above.

Edit: So if i open the manual manually by opening index.htm from within its directory it will work with no issues:
Opening index.htm: file:///C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Manual/GMS2-Robohelp-en/index1.htm < works as intended ofcourse no IDE integration using this method though.

Last edited:

GarbageHaus

I also have the same issue, the only way I really resolved it was trying to open each link in a new tab rather than left-clicking on it. I remember reading a thread in the bug forum about how they were aware of issues with the manual but I can't find it for the life of me.

nebkid

Yep its annoying and makes me not reference the manual which i need to do because i am new to the program and there is a lot of good information there. I have enough insight already to get by but still when i do need to look at manual it is tedious and slow. Either open each sidebar link in a new tab each time or refresh the page i know it seems trivial but it does slow one down.

I have resorted to using the downloaded manual because it works flawlessly. But you miss out on IDE integration unless there is a way to change it.

Roldy

nebkid

Just tried that Roldy same problem.

Also i have said "downloaded manual" meant to say offline manual. Will edit Had the words "download manual" stuck in my head because i was trying to look for offline copies before i knew there was a zipped copy when you install the software. been a few days so got my thoughts mixed up.

Last edited:

Roldy

Just tried that Roldy same problem.

Also i have said "downloaded manual" meant to say offline manual. Will edit
If you UNCHECK that box it will use the 'offline'/'downloaded' manual. It will not use the Online manual. However it still connects local (127.0.0.1) to access your 'downloaded' manual.

Roldy

Yep again same problem read my op again.

already stated this you must be skim reading.

Open manual by pressing F1 and with the default settings used in GMS2: http://127.0.0.1:51290/index.htm#t=GameMaker_Language/GML_Reference/Asset_Management/Instances/instance_destroy.htm < issues same as above.
Ok. But I am pretty sure that it means the problem is on your end. When opening with file: protocol your browser has no problem, but when connecting over a LOCAL socket with http protocol your browser is having problems.

Consider that one involves the network (http) while the other does not (file).

And consider the problem exist no matter if the network interface is connecting remotely or locally (127.0.0.1).

nebkid

I think you are slightly undermining me here because it is clear that i understand the difference. Three ways to open the manual. One online and two locally. The default method is locally through a port and the second local method is opening the index.htm itself i have demonstrated that i understand and have tried all avenues.

The fact that one method works over another already says logically that it is intermittent and not entirely on my end actually i have done quite i bit of trial and error on my end and i am safe to say that it is not at my expense the IDE just does not like FireFox because it works in Edge with no issue for example.

The only method that works as intended is again open the index.htm manually:
Opening index.htm: file:///C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Manual/GMS2-Robohelp-en/index1.htm < AND AGAIN >>>>>>>>>>>works as intended no IDE integration though.

The dev who handles the manual has already contacted me and is now aware of the situation. And i just seen that they have pushed an update because i got a message that there is a new Manual for download.

Last edited:

Roldy

I think you are slightly undermining me here because it is clear that i understand the difference. Three ways to open the manual. One online and two locally. The default method is locally through a port and the second local method is opening the index.htm itself i have demonstrated that i understand and have tried all avenues.

The fact that one method works over another already says logically that it is intermittent and not entirely on my end actually i have done quite i bit of trial and error on my end and i am safe to say that it is not at my expense the IDE just does not like FireFox because it works in Edge with no issue for example.

The only method that works as intended is again open the index.htm manually:
Opening index.htm: file:///C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Manual/GMS2-Robohelp-en/index1.htm < AND AGAIN >>>>>>>>>>>works as intended no IDE integration though.

The dev who handles the manual has already contacted me and is now aware of the situation. And i just seen that they have pushed an update because i got a message that there is a new Manual for download.
Did the updated manual fix your issue?

nebkid

Sorry for late reply put game maker down completely because of this issue just came back to it now because of the sale. I was on the trial version before.

It seems that it was a one of those moments combined with using a new software for the first time. I am still not sure exactly what happened after further testing it was noscript and gm manual not playing nice after all (I got kinda stuck in one of those loops initially and ended up thinking noscript was not at fault).

I spoke to the dev for no script and i have a feeling that he may of fixed it on his end. I am not totally certain though because he never got back to me after time. I am trying to find a update log atm to see if i can tell or not.
The dev here on GM end became slightly complacent when i told him it was a third party extension that was causing the issue which is fair enough realistically being somebody else's work, what i am getting at is though that neither got back to me so no resolve as to who fixed it. Either way the issue is resolved and either one of them fixed their end or maybe it was just a browser update because there has been several since opening the post idk.

It was a revolving circle as to which side was at cause of the issues if at all is anybodies guess at this point maybe it was just browser update seeing as nobody got back to me. But somebody or something has happened which fixed it. I don't know if it was gm or no script both have updated since. But i do know I have not had this issues with no script ever and i have been using it for over 15 years but it was possibly one of them.

RESOLVED. For now i guess :) and hopefully forever.

Last edited: