• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game Maker weird behavior

P

psyke

Hi everyone,

I think I've found something weird with the new Game Maker Studio. My games are running very slow after I installed the GMS 2, even my games from GMS 1.4 (I don't know how this is possible)!! The Game Speed is set to 60 frames, but the FPS goes down to 45 (see attachment 1), but if I play the game in Debug Mode and press this button (see attachment 2), the game goes back to normal, as long as the Debugger is opened.

If I compile the game, it still runs at 45 fps. This seems like a bug to me, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

wtf_01.jpg
wtf_02.jpg

Hyomoto

I think this behavior has been reported but it might be worthwhile to submit a bug if you can replicate it elsewhere.

c023-DeV

Try setting the 'sleep margin' in the Windows Options (Game Options) to 5,10,20 ms... this worked for me. GM opened up that value to users a few updates back in GMS 1.4 ... so that is whay you have the same issue there.

And look it up in the manual. FYI

Z

zendorf

Try setting the 'sleep margin' in the Windows Options (Game Options) to 5,10,20 ms... this worked for me. GM opened up that value to users a few updates back in GMS 1.4 ... so that is whay you have the same issue there.

And look it up in the manual. FYI
Aha, thanks for that! I was having the same issue with my game fps hovering at about 45fps. When changing the sleep margin to 20ms, I am getting a steady 60fps. Interestingly enough, the default 1ms worked fine on my Win7 dev machine, but none of my Win10 machines.

Now that this is working as it should, I have been testing how much faster GMS2/dx11 is compared to GMS1/dx9. I am porting a game over to GMS2 and on Nvidia cards the real fps has more than doubled on some levels! On the Intel cards it is only about 20% percent better, but overall I am very impressed with the performance boost :)