Game Maker Vs RPG Maker VX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JVGameDev

Hi! I plan to make a Legend of Zelda style RPG game, and i was wondering which engine would be better for this style game?

J

JVGameDev

Gamemaker will require more work initially, but assuming you make a strong back end for it, gamemaker will be much more flexible and in some areas easier to work with.
In what way would it take more initial work?

P

Paolo Mazzon

In what way would it take more initial work?
GM is very much an open platform, where as rpg maker is specialized to rpgs and thus the engine is built around generic rpg mechanics. If you plan on making an rpg in gm, it's probably best if you build a good rpg framework for gm (like yoyorpg for example) before you tackle the game itself. Since rpgs are usually more complex than something like a tds (inside/outside, dungeons, maybe jrpg combat), if you just start into the game without making a framework, it will quickly get out of hand.

Anyway, just my $0.02

A

Aura

That question is too weird to be asked on the GameMaker Community. Of course everyone would recommend GameMaker here (including myself). A neutral forum would have been a better place to ask that question.

Honestly, I'd recommend GameMaker. It's much better than RPG Maker in every aspect. (Yal is the RPG mistress herself, so... if she recommends it, you should heed her advice. Plus Mr. Cake also recommends it.)

N

Nexusrex

I agree with all of em (I didn't try RPG Maker tho but i guess it needs to get the player's downloading an extra application to play the game). Game maker is flexible at making many genres of games..But don't try to make your first project a huge game. That was the only problem with GM beginners (The attempt to make a big project at the start)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
RPG Maker requires a lot less effort to do anything... but it's much more limited to the point that once you want to do something good, you'll need a lot more effort than in any other engine. There's a reason most of the good obviously-RPGM games are horror games and visual novels that just use the dialogue system and nothing else.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
I used RPG maker XP a long time ago...is it just me or those 2 products aren't the same?
I mean, is RPG maker is for creating RPG? GM requires a lot of more works to create a rpg.
Is RPG maker requires a lot or code or simply a logical thinking of setting all 'pieces' together?

Cpaz

I'd suggest taking a look at games made in both. Realizing both have an extremely low entry level. GMS has more options, and can get much more flexible. RM is pretty low level, has little flexibility (You can only really make an rpg) with anything else taking much more effort in the long run.

A few game made in GM:
Nuclear Throne,
Spelunky,
Hyper Light Drifter,
Gunpoint,
*Undertale

Few games in RM:
Story of the Survivor,
Lisa,
Skyborn,
Our love will Grow (series)

Last edited:

Cpaz

Undertale. How could you forget it. (Note that Undertale is an RPG that would've been pretty much impossible to make in RPG Maker. THE IRONY!)
I've actually not played Undertale :p. But I didn't even know it was a GMS game.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've actually not played Undertale :p. But I didn't even know it was a GMS game.
Yet you somehow played Lisa, a much more niche game by the same guy? You totally should play Undertale (if you haven't ruined the experience already by watching an LP or browsing too many of its memes), it's a really fun experience... not to mention it's more or less the perfect case study for integrating storytelling into game mechanics.

Cpaz

Yet you somehow played Lisa, a much more niche game by the same guy? You totally should play Undertale (if you haven't ruined the experience already by watching an LP or browsing too many of its memes), it's a really fun experience... not to mention it's more or less the perfect case study for integrating storytelling into game mechanics.
I actually haven't played most of the listed games. Just picked out positively received gamed from both spectrums. (I own Nuclear Throne, Spelunky, and Skyborn) I really should get to playing Undertale though...

NicoDT

You should use GM.
As other people mentioned, if you make something that is not turn based, GM will be easier and more flexible. I'm making a JRPG using GM:S

Also, if your goal is to sell the game, It's worth noting that a lot of people hate RPG-maker games in steam.

Didjargo

RPG Maker is very restricted but handles a lot of the grunt work for you. Game Maker is very flexible but you have to figure everything out on your own. If you just want to make a turn-based RPG with a very traditional battle system, then RPG Maker will give you the easiest ride. If you want to do anything beyond that, then your best bet is Game Maker.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I'm making a game in GM that would be vastly easier to make in RPG Maker, but I'm using GM because it gives me way more control over what I'm making.
RPG Maker makes integrating non RPG elements into a game really difficult, in fact anything that's not part of the engine's in built stuff is a major hassle.

Reactions: Yal

ThePC007

I'd suggest taking a look at games made in both. Realizing both have an extremely low entry level. GMS has more options, and can get much more flexible. RM is pretty low level, has little flexibility (You can only really make an rpg) with anything else taking much more effort in the long run.

A few game made in GM:
Nuclear Throne,
Spelunky,
Hyper Light Drifter,
Gunpoint,
*Undertale

Few games in RM:
Story of the Survivor,
Lisa,
Skyborn,
Our love will Grow (series)
In what way is RM low-level? It's as high-level as it could possibly be. Assembly is low-level. RM is practically a level editor that lets you create levels and sell them as actual games. All the code is already written by its creators (probably in C++ and / or Lua or something, I don't know); there's nothing low-level about it.

Cpaz

In what way is RM low-level? It's as high-level as it could possibly be. Assembly is low-level. RM is practically a level editor that lets you create levels and sell them as actual games. All the code is already written by its creators (probably in C++ and / or Lua or something, I don't know); there's nothing low-level about it.
I'm mostly referring to the options available to developers, not the standard language "tier" system of coding. GMS and RM are not traditional coding, mostly scripting. That's an extremely bare bones statement mind you, I believe a whole essay could be written on the differences in game engines such as GMS vs programming from scratch in something like C++.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd personally interpret it as Cpaz saying "it has a really low level of customizability". RPG Maker MV switched over to Java and/or Javascript, and while it allows for better customization in theory they also split up all functionality in separate files in a way that makes it a lot harder to find anything you'd like to change. But at least the syntax is easier to understand than their previous mutation of Ruby the VX and earlier versions used. (VX Ace actually used a different modified version that did wonders for readability, but that's beside the point)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Really surprised this hasn't been locked yet. Normally GMS vs [InsertEngineHere] are squashed pretty quickly.
I've been on holiday and only got back today... :)

So, this is the GAMEMAKER forum, which means that of course GameMaker is best to use, and all further discussion and comparisons with other engines is pointless. Also keep in mind that it is all very subjective and you should go and download the free/demo versions of each product and try them then decide for yourself what is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.