• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game maker taking upwards of 10 minutes to load project

stigmund77

Hi all,

I've been working on a project for 3 years now, and suddenly about 2 months ago the project started taking upwards of 10 minutes to load. While loading my entire computer freezes up. And ideas? It's only this project that's being effected.

Cheers.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What is this project stored on? Some drives' performance may temporarily decrease when under load for extended periods of time.

Do you have any antivirus or firewall software running? These may be scanning the files you're reading, which will slow everything down to a crawl.

Monitor what's doing what with the files by using the OS-default Resource Monitor. This may provide hints about what's causing this.

stigmund77

Thanks for the reply! I've turned off windows defender temporarily which did not help, looking at task manger, game maker takes up around 99% of the drive that its on when trying to load the project, and I've tried multiple drives now. Game maker also seems to use the most CPU but overall the CPU usage seems to remain relatively low. Game maker does seem to be using a lot of Memory though, well above 4300mb on its own. My other projects seem fine its just this one that has the problems.

stigmund77

I've just deleted a lot of included files (txt) files and this fixed the issue? As my game relies on included files heavily is there any way to fix this?

Edit(I can confirm turning off file watcher does not fix this issue)

cheers.

Last edited: