• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game maker suddenly crashes when I try to open up my project? (gms 2.3.0.529)

Definitely a bit freaked out about this since I've been putting tons of work into this project. It's backed up from a few days agop, but I'd definitely prefer to not lose the work!

Basically I ran my game, and it all worked perfectly fine. Then I did two things before running again:

1. I organized all my sprites into folders, and assigned them between 2 texture pages. I also deleted some sprites that werent being used.
  2. I decided to try using a sequence for the first time. I animated it, added a function event to it, and dragged it into a room as a test.
When I tried to run the game again, it wouldnt compile, and said "Process is terminated due to StackOverflowException".

I deleted the sequence, and tried again, thinking it was a bug with that, and it didnt run.

So I reset my computer, and reopened game maker. Game maker opens, but now when I try to open my project it loads for 20 seconds or so and then game maker crashes. So far I've tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling game maker. Deleting temp files, asset cache, ide cache, etc. Deleted the layout xml file. None of it has fixed the issue. Any one know whats up with this and how I can fix? Help would be extremely appreciated!!

Last edited:
Ok I fixed it... I think this is a bug with gm2.3. Somehow the sequence I made broke game maker. To fix, I went into the project folder, went to sequences, and deleted the sequence file. After that the project file opened (and I immediately backed it up). I had added a function to the sequence, and I guess I did something that I wasn't supposed to do. Instead of giving me an error on run though, it somehow corrupted the file.