• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Maker Studio won't launch

D

Dissentrix

Hey all, new user here.
So I've downloaded the free version of Game Maker Studio. Now everything is fine and dandy, it installed in the default directory, etc.
The problem is that it won't launch ! The extractor or updater or whatever it is briefly shows up, but then immediately disappears. The updater is marked as still running in Task manager, but only for a brief moment.

Now, seeing another thread on the issue, I downloaded and ran Dependency Walker. The program shows my CPU as being x64 (as it should be), but the Game Maker Studio application as being x86 ! Obviously a problem on a 64-bit machine.

So my question is this : Is there a specific 64-bit Game Maker Studio download I should be aware of ? Or is it perhaps an installation problem ? Any ideas ?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You didn't miss anything, GMS 1.x is a 32-bit program. It can still run on a 64-bit system, though. Just don't install it into C:\Program Files.

D

Dissentrix

Thanks for the suggestion. It installs into Users/MyUsername/
And yet it still doesn't work ! I'm running out of ideas.

D

Dissentrix

Bumpety bump because this is really annoying. I can't work with this.

A

Avestron

At this point I am beginning to suspect that this is a known issue that effects a small enough portion of the potential userbase that there is little impetus to actually get on top of the issue.

An update of the minimum requirements would be the next best thing, so that those of us effected may make a more informed decision as whether to move on to a platform more suitable to our hardware/software configuration...

D

Dissentrix

Well, Avestron, I'm beginning to think you're right. I really did want to check out Game Maker, and maybe even buy it, but if the free version doesn't even run then I have absolutely no motivation to buy the software. The designing team could at least post an official update, or something. Good job, Yoyo Games, you've lost yourself a potential customer.

A

Avestron

Two weeks have passed since the original request for assistance.

The original poster may have given up on the community providing any semblance of such and I cannot say that my hopes for such run high.

However it would be an interesting experiment to see just how long and how bad things are going to get...

...bump...

A

Avestron

Six weeks.

No response.

No solution.

Not even a hint as to what the problem may be.

Is it Windows 10? Is it Drivers? Is it Geography? Is it Platform? Is it DirectX? Bad Programming?

No idea.