• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Maker: Studio - resource tree flickering bug. [SOLVED]

Fredrik

I was about to do some serious work in GM project. I was basically going to place a object in a room, and by doing that I'd ofc open the room, find the "objects" section and find the scroll-down menu for all the avable object I've made <-- a pretty common action while using GM. So I press the scroll-down menu to list all objects and from there I can basucally just hover my cursor over sub folder to find objects inside them. But while doing this the scroll-down menu starts to flicker "on and off" kinda, as if the menu would appear then disappear over and over, and once I actually hovered my mouse over a sub folder to find excisting objects in that folder, the scroll-down menu would flicker once more and just remove the entire scrolldown menu. In other words: I'm not able to use the scroll down menu at all. This bug also happends with pretty much all scroll-down menus in GM:S, but I've found it to be worst in the room section, thus the reason I used that for my example. I have no idea what causes this bug and I've tried everything from cleaning the cache, restarting GM, restarting my PC.

help :C

Fredrik

It sould be solved somehow. I decided to help someone else with their issues here on the forum, and after doing that my issue was gone somehow :p

R

RussellD

I am getting the same issue, I restarted my pc, and did the cache cleaner but still having an issue. At the moment its only when I am selecting the sprite for an object that the menu flickers but no where else.

R

RussellD

Update: Did the cache cleaner, cleared temp files and back ups this time around and issue was resolved. Did them one by one until the issue cleared in order of cache, temp and then backup files.

R

RussellD

Well it lasted a whole few minutes, this issue is hampering my project. Selecting sprites through editor still flicking with the menus. Flickering.png

R

renex

Guys, try the GM8 skin. It uses standard unskinned Windows forms and shouldn't have any issues.

R

RussellD

Thank you for the reply but it didn't work. My project has gotten quite large, would there be a indexing limitation that could cause this issue. I don't have that many sub folders in my project.

R

RussellD

I did a little bit of tooling around and discovered that all objects in the left pane show no image in its thumbnail but there is a sprite associated to the object. blankThumbnails.png

H

heyimdandan

Exactly the same thing has happened to me today, I'm guessing there's an issue with the latest update that causes this?

H

heyimdandan

gm-flicker.gif
Contrary to this being classed as solved, none of the methods mentioned above have helped at all.

H

heyimdandan

Well, in a bizarre twist I managed to solve my issue by selecting:

Edit > Expand Resource Tree

Scrolling through all the objects and sprites until they all appeared... then...

Edit > Collapse Resource Tree

It's working for now and the flickering has stopped. I can now select objects in rooms, whether it remains this way I'm yet to find out!

This is a known bug, caused by all sprites being loaded AFTER GM:S has started. As long as the sprites are being loaded, the resource tree will flicker. You can compile the game once, which loads all sprites, to solve it. Of course, this is not a real solution. I submitted a request for it months ago, without any response. I have the feeling Yoyo has abandoned GMS 1.4 for GMS 2 and will not address anymore bugs in this version.

D

dcm488

SOLVED: None of the above solutions fix this. I ran into the same problem today. My project has grown quite large - the flickering in the room editor made it literally impossible to navigate my resource tree in order to place objects in rooms. I was literally unable to work on my project because of this bug. I tried everything mentioned above - I compiled the project, I changed the skin, nothing fixes this problem. @Pineapple Lake is correct that this has to do with the engine loading your resources, but compiling the project does not solve the problem. All I did to solve the problem was leave my room editor open and click open the resource tree and let it continue to flicker. I then took a shower and came back 20 minutes later and the flickering went away. This is extremely annoying because I'm imagining in the future I'm going to need to leave my project open for 20 minutes or so before I can actually work on any rooms. However I hope this prevents other people from trying to jump through a million hoops in order to solve the problem. You just need to let the engine sit and load all your resources for it to go away. Hope this helps.

R

RussellD

Appreciate it being looked into, I kept clearing my cache a lot thinking it was fixing the issue eventually, didn't think the resources were lagging behind in the editor.

andulvar

Had this occur to me today, confirmed restart and reload, clear cache and compile did not work. Expand and collapse resource tree (from Edit menu) did work to correct the problem.

P

ph101

This happened to me today. Restart and cache clear did not work, it also happened on older versino of project. Expand + collapse did not work. However I expanded, compiled, ended game, went into a menu - and it was still flickering (attempting to select object parent). However left mouse on flickering menu as per advice and then that time it rapidly resolved. Hope it helps. Hope it is fixed.

Mortalo

You just need to wait 'till it loads.
It happened to me today as well. I usually compile project when launching Game Maker, and after it's done start working, today I jumped into Room Editor, while it was still complining and spotted the flickering. It wasn't gone after it compiled, so I restarted, and immediately after launch went to Room Editor, and it was even worse, went to see solution in the internet, saw "wait until it loads" post, so I hopped back to the Game Maker, and problem was gone.
Compile first and then start to work :)