Design Game Maker Studio beginner here.

• Thread starter fawfulthegreat64
  • Start date
F

fawfulthegreat64

If this is the wrong board, I apologize as I am still new here.

Anyways I need some tips to get me started on creating a game. The idea I have in mind is a 3D RPG in the vein of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Paper Jam (which have 3D worlds but use 2D sprites)

The game would be an unofficial sequel/redo of Paper Jam so it would have some flat characters that turn around ala Paper Mario, while others are sprites that always face the camera, like in Dream Team.

I have searched YouTube for tutorials on 3D RPGs but I can't find quite what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

N

Nexusrex

(Well, i guess it's the wrong one)
Well, you've said you are a beginner. What did you do in GM:S? If you've just made something really simple or just readed the manual. I recommend to make simple things. Don't expect that when you open GMS and just you make a full game easily. It takes time to have experience.

F

fawfulthegreat64

Which board would this fit under then?

Also I realize I can't make a grand full game overnight, but I have to start somewhere. Is it possible to have a trail of four characters who all jump separately?

M

MikeDark_x

Which board would this fit under then?

Also I realize I can't make a grand full game overnight, but I have to start somewhere. Is it possible to have a trail of four characters who all jump separately?
It's possible, but for what I read, you are aiming for stuff that is a little bit advanced, you should get used to coding in gml before even thinking about coding in a 3D world, that's how it works, you should set your aim to stuff you can find in tutorials when you start

But after you've gone through all the trouble to understand the concepts behind GML... there's next to nothing that can stop you... well there is... new ideas while you're working on one... but nobody should speak about that...

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Paolo Mazzon

The idea I have in mind is a
Let me stop you right there. Whenever people get into game development, the first thing they try to do is make the coolest game they can think of. When you first pick up a guitar, you want to play Van Halen right away, but much like in game development, you're going to need to "git gud" first. That's not to say you can't make your dream game, the game I wanted to make when I started is 100% doable to me now (In three different languages), but it sure wasn't then. Start small; make some generic platformers, read the docs, and one day you'll be able to make the game you want.

RangerX

Like most beginner, you have an idea of a game that is not well suited for beginner. This is complex stuff there. You'll need to learn 3D (that one HUGE thing and its a bit harder in GMS than on other dedicated 3D engines out there).
You will need to create smaller projects, test projects and micro games, prototypes. So you can learn every aspect you need to learn in order to pull of a complex game.

F

fawfulthegreat64

After finding out more about 3D, I think my idea will work fine without it. I'll just use 3D-looking graphics (besides, isn't 3D exclusive to the paid version?)

I was assuming I could make a 2D map and make it into a 3D plane, but I guess it's more complicated than that. Anyway is any sort of RPG too much for a beginner? I don't really want to make a game without a story. But I also don't want to make it all text.

Finally, is this how I make an animation for different directions?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Finally, is this how I make an animation for different directions?
I'd recommend putting animations for different directions into different sprites so you can use the automatic animation system for it... if you put all into the same sprite, you'll need to manually pick the right images.

F

fawfulthegreat64

Yeah I figured that out already. Now I have a simple player character who can run around nicely. I would like to give him a follower, is there an easy way to do this? I looked in the included digital manual but couldn't really find anything I could understand.

A

Aura

As for your question about 3D being a Pro-only thing, I don't think so. You can use 3D (and pretty much everything else) in the Standard version of GM:S.

Making a RPG is not completely impossible for a GM:S beginner IMO. But it is surely difficult if you do not have prior programming experience. If you have experience with programming at all and understand how algorithms, mechanics and games work, you should not face much difficultly in adapting to GML. So before starting to work on your project... I'd suggest you to at least grasp the basics, or your plan is going to fall apart. ^^"

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
fawfulthegreat64 said:
I was assuming I could make a 2D map and make it into a 3D plane, but I guess it's more complicated than that. Anyway is any sort of RPG too much for a beginner? I don't really want to make a game without a story. But I also don't want to make it all text.
I don't think you are aware of the diversity in difficulty among tasks involved in making RPGs.

Some parts are easy to do and commonly part of tutorials targeting novices: Basic keyboard movement, collisions, using variables, handling sprites.

Some parts involve abstract theory that novices commonly chicken out of or deprecate because can't or don't want to contextualize: Arrays and data structures for inventories, plane geometry and trigonometry for 2D graphics, linear algebra and vector math for 3D.

Some parts are soft skills not strictly correlated to technical experience: Writing a storyline, level/world design, cohesion of project assets, self-organization.

In any case, one golden rule holds true: "Anything that you have to rely on others to interpret for you, decide the feasibility thereof for you, or bail you out on is too much for you."

So far you have failed to make any of your own calls regarding this project, everything is third-party opinion. The conclusion is more than obvious.