• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game Maker Studio 2 Vita Module

Blackmore

Hello folks,

I've been talking to Yoyogames staff about Vita module and it appears it isn't included in GMS2 because too few developers are actually using it in GMS. However if there is enough interest to Vita module, they might still reconsider this decision.

I am using GMS as a indie developer, VITA export of my game was a great decision and i would love to have this module also in GMS2.

If you would like to see VITA export module in GMS2 , please consider supporting this thread.

Thanks for your time!

M

mdbussen

I would be extremely interested in a Vita module. Given that it was supported in GMS1.4 I am a little surprised that it isn't already supported in GMS2 by default. But I don't pretend to know what GMS2 is doing under the covers that is different than GMS1.4.

Unless there is a implementation reason why supporting Vita is not viable, I would really like to see it supported as an export option in GMS2. Anecdotally, I believe the Vita is a very good platform for indie games in terms of user support.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Vita is dying out...its got another year or so tops. For any platform we do now, we really want it to be around for the life of the product as we don't want to kill anything someone might have paid for. This is why Tizen is still in 1.x, even though it's basically dead.

Blackmore

While it seems that way in the west, Vita is still popular in Japanese market. Also around 15~ new titles shows up in PSN Store each month.

I actually don't see that it's going to die anytime soon. It is just my opinion, Vita isn't dead yet and it feels kind of weird that Yoyogames decided to not include in GMS2. But again, if there is too much cost to support Vita platform on GMS2, i can't argue with that since there aren't many developers around here who develop games for Vita.

I just want to continue to develop for Vita while using cool new functions build in GMS2 . Creating 2 different projects on GMS and GMS2 would be very annoying work on.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Vita is still going to be fully supported on 1.x, but for 2 with the lifetime of it, it simple doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I like the vita, but its a shrinking target....

Vita is still going to be fully supported on 1.x, but for 2 with the lifetime of it, it simple doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I like the vita, but its a shrinking target....
But we're getting Nintendo Switch support to replace it, right? RIGHT???:D
Why don't you guys just make it official already? :p

Blackmore

Well, if there would be a Switch module, i can totally get behind that concept. It would be nice to publish something on Nintendo platform.

gnysek

From what I remember, Nintendo must cooperate with YYG to release this module, so if Nintendo doesn't want it, then YYG won't get dev kits and other needed code/tools to make it. Nintendo always liked to have a total control over developers, having mostly "family" games on their platforms, and doesn't allowing too much 18+ games. We'll see, cause with Nintendo Switch something may change.

Blackmore

Yes there should be an agreement between Nintendo and YYG but it has nothing to do with Developers. YYG will never have control over developers what kind of content they create. There are certification and FQA process when you develop for consoles. It is not only Nintendo, also other Platforms are will take a look at your title and decide if it is something for their platform. Things are very different from Steam or Mobile market when it comes to consoles.

gnysek

Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony are giving SDK and generally you can even download them (I remember having PSVita SDK without having any agreement, even tested small game on it) and previev code, while Nintendo never made such a think, keeping everything at secret so they can control it.

Blackmore

I understand your point but what i am trying to explain is just doesn't matter what SDK or export module you have, in the end your title will get tested before being released by those platforms. It has nothing to do with developers what is happening between YYG and Nintendo about export module.

Let's say you got the module and made the game, if Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft says No. It's won't get into market. So they will always have "Total control" on your product.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony are giving SDK and generally you can even download them (I remember having PSVita SDK without having any agreement, even tested small game on it) and previev code, while Nintendo never made such a think, keeping everything at secret so they can control it.
That's not entirely true anymore.
https://developer.nintendo.com/

Ouren

I am here to beg for a Vita module. Just as you said, the target will stop moving soon, so support would be limited after a while.

Was there even one Vita game released using the 1.X module? From what I remember, the Vita version of Hotline Miami was a port.

S

Storyteller

Id be more interested in Vita support for the PS Vita TV.
Microconsoles, such as the Vita TV (now rather dead) and the nvidia Shield TV console, are a target platform for me. As in Im looking at developing primarily for them over most others. +1 for Vita support, if its remotely feasible/viable though.

DeScruff

As much as I love my Vita, and I'd love a Vita Module, I recognize the machine is not going to be around much longer. - We have all heard the joke: "Sony - What is a Vita?"

Assuming you started a brand new game the day GMS2 comes out, unless its a small game, or your just that fast, the Vita will probably be in it's deathbed by the time you finish, and thats before you start talking about getting it onto the PSN.
If I recall with the release of GM Studio 1, it was a similar situation with the PSP module, and how the PSP was really on its way out by that time. - Side note: Could you imagine releasing a PSP game this late had the PSP module came out? The last game being released for the PSP I can remember was the localization of Brandish in 2015, and even then was weirdly late.

funkygallo

As Mike write, if You wanna make a Vita game, You must use GMS 1.0
Sad but true (but anyway You can do awesome game too with GMS 1.0)

S

Storyteller

Vita and Vita TV is exactly same thing...
nope, vita is a portable device, VitaTV is a microconsole. there are dozens of titles for Vita that will not run on VitaTV for various reasons.
really now, one has a screen and other built in hardware, the other does not and can use a variety of controllers.
While the development process is mostly the same, there are several differences. Most important, is that VitaTV is even more dead than the Vita itself.

gnysek

@Storyteller - technically, they are same. I have both of them, and except that you need a DS3/DS4 to operate, on both you can even emulate all touch events (back/front panel, two fingers).

With some hacking, you can generally run every game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...exploit-playstation-tv-to-run-all-vita-titles

They even use same firmware, which differs it's a Vita or VitaTV by hardware id (one file for both: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps-vita/ ).

As for screen, Vita one is still a screen connected by cable internally, maybe even it uses same protocol as HDMI, who knows, as today all screens are made to general use, and you can buy lot of them on AliExpress and make own device which will display what you want. 1080 on Vita TV is upscaled by HDMI convertor hidden inside, and again, options to set HDMI resolution are displayed additionaly only because of hardware id. Games are still displayed in PS Vita native resolution, as when you take a screenshot in game, they have 960x544px of size. Which mean they are upscaled.

Making game working on Vita TV requires to use additional functions from PS Vita SDK, to enable DS3/DS4 support, or a game need to won't use touch screens at all.

S

Storyteller

so they are exactly the same, except: requiring extra functions to enable DS3/DS4 support, and the video gets upscaled, and a bunch of other things you just mentioned.

I get what you are saying, but the point is driven moot by lack of continued support from Sony. Ideally, we see a 'Vita2' to compete with Switch and other offerings in the next two years. A PS 'Vita2' I can use on the go that connects to my TV via a ChromeCast or FireTV-Stick type dongle would be great. Ive said in the past (in other communities) we are moving towards 'game enabled tvs' that use cell phones as controllers and handle advanced rendering 'in the cloud'.

The Shield TV from nVidia is close to this now. It would not be difficult to built a TV with its hardware inside its case. Game playing is going to change very rapidly over the next 10 years, 5 even. Supporting microconsoles, smart TVs and cloud based rendering/physics is a clear move forward.

so they are exactly the same, except: requiring extra functions to enable DS3/DS4 support, and the video gets upscaled, and a bunch of other things you just mentioned.

I get what you are saying, but the point is driven moot by lack of continued support from Sony. Ideally, we see a 'Vita2' to compete with Switch and other offerings in the next two years. A PS 'Vita2' I can use on the go that connects to my TV via a ChromeCast or FireTV-Stick type dongle would be great. Ive said in the past (in other communities) we are moving towards 'game enabled tvs' that use cell phones as controllers and handle advanced rendering 'in the cloud'.

The Shield TV from nVidia is close to this now. It would not be difficult to built a TV with its hardware inside its case. Game playing is going to change very rapidly over the next 10 years, 5 even. Supporting microconsoles, smart TVs and cloud based rendering/physics is a clear move forward.
No. Ideally Sony admits Nintendo's total dominance of the handheld market, and finally lets their mobile gaming division die to focus fully on their home consoles. With their newfound focus, they utterly destroy Microsoft, forcing them out of the gaming market they never belonged in to begin with. In the void, Sega leaps from the shadows to reclaim their power. They finally release the Dreamcast 2, and Sonic doesn't suck again. Nintendo, Sony, and Sega share the gaming market, and a new Golden Age is upon us. Everyone lives happily ever after, the end.

Last edited:

COWCAT

Was there even one Vita game released using the 1.X module? From what I remember, the Vita version of Hotline Miami was a port.
I'm one of the few developers who released a game on Vita with Game Maker Studio!
(My adventure game "Demetrios" was released last month, and it's selling slightly better than Steam so far)

Although I understand YoYo Game's reasons, it's still disappointing. Hopefully you'll keep 1.X support for more than a year, at least for consoles - I'm not planning to move to 2.0 yet, as I don't expect it to be as stable as 1.X for a while.

I'm really hoping for a Nintendo Switch export module, though! :)

Last edited:
C

Curial Lloses

I'm really hoping for a Nintendo Switch export module, though! :)
Really hoping that too but at this moment seems that Nintendo is only opened to Unity projects and don't seem they are willing to expand this :( Said that, I'm in to help Yoyo Games make Nintendo any offer they cannot refuse... ;)

Hope that YYG can surprise us with a deal and a module in future! We are eager to develop for Switch.

J

jtmx

I would love to see continued support for the ps vita, it's my favourite gaming console.

Edit: hell I would also love to see continued support for the PS3, I'm not upgrading to GMS2 until this happens. Maybe even give us a cheeky Xbox 360 export module as well ;).