• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game Maker Studio 2 - Should I Use It?

J

James Geiger

Hi,

I am a developer but am just venturing into game development. I am building an MMORPG (please do not tell me how hard it is - I know). Should I start off on GMS2 Beta? Is it stable enough to use?

P.S. Can you build high-detail Isometric games with Game Maker Studio? And does GMS2 add any truly epic features over GMS1?

J

James Geiger

Seems pretty stable. You might find it lacking with no shaders etc. But you could always make a start with it.

Yes (in any version)

Not that I can see so far.
Awesome! And how do you find GMS as opposed to Unity? And how do you like writing GML code?

J

James Geiger

Great! I am sold :)

I am no expert in terms of game development (mostly a PHP developer) but I will do my best! I already found some awesome community made YouTube videos as well, so I am stocked!

I did read something though: I will need to create the engine for the game as GMS is more of an IDE than the engine....is that true?

JeffJ

I did read something though: I will need to create the engine for the game as GMS is more of an IDE than the engine....is that true?
Of course. This is one of the things that makes GameMaker great; it doesn't assume anything about the game you're making. This gives you full flexibility to do any kind of game you want (as opposed to something like RPG Maker, where you will always be tied down to a certain type of game to a degree).
GameMaker does offer you a lot of gamerelated stuff to get you off to a quick start, though - if you want, you can even utilize built-in friction, gravity, acceleration etc. (or do your own).
It's an IDE that's centered around making games fast, and it's really good at it (one of the very best, if not the best for 2d, IMO)

But all this highly depends on what you would categorize as the engine.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
And how do you find GMS as opposed to Unity?
I love GameMaker. I've used it for over ten years. There is really nothing better for rapid development or learning how to make games. However, it is primarily designed for 2D games. If you want to do 3D stuff, you will have to put in a lot of effort compared to Unity.

J

James Geiger

I don't plan on 3D - I think Isometric 2D is great and I think the art-style does not age as fast as 3D (bad 3D is much worse IMO - and even if it is decent now, it ages pretty badly).

JeffJ

In that case, great.

One thing you might want to examine though, in your specific case, is that (from what I've heard - haven't actually confirmed this myself) the isometric support is currently better in 1.4 than GMS2 beta.
YoYoGames have said that they will add better isometric support, but it might be a little far off yet. I'm guessing this is mostly room editor related stuff - like isometric design grid and things like that - but just a word of advice to read up on this area so you go in prepared.

EDIT
It's mentioned in a couple of threads already, here's one:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms-2-x-beta-feedback.11836/#post-77663

J

James Geiger

Jeff, thank you for the advice. I will take a look! My goal is not to create the whole game now (Isometric support might be great in the next 2 months). I like the journey anyway, so it will always be a work in progress (well, that is unless it is really epic and I can get people to pay a monthly subscription haha).

J

James Geiger

In that case, great.

One thing you might want to examine though, in your specific case, is that (from what I've heard - haven't actually confirmed this myself) the isometric support is currently better in 1.4 than GMS2 beta.
YoYoGames have said that they will add better isometric support, but it might be a little far off yet. I'm guessing this is mostly room editor related stuff - like isometric design grid and things like that - but just a word of advice to read up on this area so you go in prepared.

EDIT
It's mentioned in a couple of threads already, here's one:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms-2-x-beta-feedback.11836/#post-77663
hmm that is unfortunate, but it seems it coming?

A

Aura

You should, but you can't. GMS 2 is in the Trial version currently and you can't use to compile executables. There is a restriction on how many resources you can create as well.

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230407528-GameMaker-Studio-2-Trial-Limitations

You would have to wait until the Desktop Beta is released, then you can start working on the project.

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-RoadMap

But as others have said, GM is the best engine around for 2D games. You can create games of any genre. Perspective is a trivial thing once you get used to it.

Apart from the UI improvements, I don't see any "truly epic" additions. A lot of things have changed, though.

makas

I though the isometric support was better in gamemaker studio 1.4 but after trying several things I think is not really the case, the new tile system blocks some of the 1.4 ways of doing isometric stuff, but with the new function of being able to put sprites directly on the room editor, I think this makes a lot easier to work with isometric tiles, also mike said that there is a possibility for isometric tile support soon (im not exactly sure what that means), Im planning to do an isometric game, and Im waiting for GMS2 to start the development... I know it will be better

K

kingchessgaming

So i wanna make a 2-D top down shooter rouge-like. what would be better GMS1 or GMS2 i have done some coding in GMS2 trial and i like it a lot. but i havent comntinued since even if i finished the game i wouldnt be able to upload it to greenlight