• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game Maker Studio 2 on Humble Bundle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikołaj Kubiczek

Anyone know if game maker studio 2 will be on Humble Bundle? If so, please tell me it. I would like to know it, because the second edition of game maker studio is too expensive.

rIKmAN

Anyone know if game maker studio 2 will be on Humble Bundle? If so, please tell me it. I would like to know it, because the second edition of game maker studio is too expensive.
It took a while before 1.4 was ever available on a Humble Bundle, and with GMS2 being the new flagship product having it on one so soon would (a) annoy existing customers who supported YYG and paid full price and (b) devalue the product going forward as any potential customers would just try and wait and not pay it's asking price.

Very doubtful to be in a HB anytime soon, but you never know.
Keep an eye on their Twitter and newsletter as they have discounts quite often, like the 20% off the UWP module running right now.

Also $99 isn't expensive - invest in yourself.

G

Also $99 isn't expensive - invest in yourself.
The $99 is only for Windows. Anyone wanting to branch out would then need to pay $140, $400, and $400 for the other non-console exports. In this sense, a person who invests time in GML/GMS2 is committing themselves to a very costly road.

A person can invest in game dev many ways. And a person can do so while still being rational about the costs versus benefits of those different ways.

rIKmAN

The $99 is only for Windows.
Yeah I know, and it's the cheapest export target that is available - which is why I recommended getting it first.

You don't need to buy every export available right now just because that's what you got for $15 in a Humble Bundle for 1.4, buy the version that will allow you to work, learn, develop mechanics etc which is the cheapest outlay - Desktop for $99.

You can use that to learn / dev whatever you are working on whilst also having the opportunity to release on Steam, GoG, Itch etc and possibly accrue money to then enable you to buy the other exports.

The code will be largely portable as long as you take a few precautions with regards to target specific functions, APIs and input methods so it won't be time wasted and later once you can afford any other exports you may want it will be pretty easy to make a few changes and export to that from the same project.

If you want a new car you don't sit crying that you can't afford a Porsche, you get a cheaper one within your budget that will allow to to do the same thing in terms of what you need to do, get from A to B etc and save for something better.

G

I guess I was too subtle. If he cares about money, he'd be better off investing himself learning a free game engine with many or all of these exports for free. Then he'd have his Porsche and eat it too.

rIKmAN

I guess I was too subtle. If he cares about money, he'd be better off investing himself learning a free game engine with many or all of these exports for free. Then he'd have his Porsche and eat it too.
Yeah I can kinda agree with that, if money is an issue, it's just "for fun" and you make small hobby games then looking at another 2D engine / framework might be a better idea - although I stand by my point that $99 isn't expensive even for a hobby, especially if he already knows GMS/GML from using 1.4.

The "big" free 3D engines aren't a good choice if all you want to do is make small 2D games, and also usually not free when you factor in having to buy things from the asset stores that aren't built in - at least not to an acceptable / usable level.

There are certainly other free 2D only engines / frameworks which might be more suitable in terms of price but as you say will require some time investment and personal learning, which might not be ideal if he already has time invested in 1.4 as I said previously.

I'm not gonna mention them in case it goes against the rules and gets the post deleted but Google will help here.

Also, if he's eating a Porsche then the price of GMS2 is the least of his worries! :)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The only time you should expect GMS 2 to go on HB is when it's on its way out.

Seriously, these constant cheapskate requests for YoYo to deep-discount GMS 2 at Christmas time are getting on my nerves. If you can't afford GMS 2, then grow a spine and stay off it. There are other free engines out there for you to learn if you want to start on a smaller budget.

Do you squat on the doormat at your local yachting club complaining about how badly you want a yacht, how the price tag isn't within your means and when they're going to deep-discount the yachts?

Status
Not open for further replies.