• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Maker Studio 2 crashes when I click on any button.

I have never used Game Maker Stuido before. I install it and create a new project saving that file in whatever is the default location on my harddrive. The first time I click any button it crashes I try a few times and it keeps crashing. The error message reads a fatal exception has occured and the program needs to close. I have tried restarting my laptop - no luck. The only idea I have is it might be something to do with that my CPU can't do emulators or virtual boxes because it can't or is disabled in doing a certain kind of threading. But any suggests that could get me working on my game would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm using Windows 7 with an Intel i3 M330 CPU 2.13Ghz, 6GB RAM and DirectX 11.
Game Maker version 2.3.2.560

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The only idea I have is it might be something to do with that my CPU can't do emulators or virtual boxes because it can't or is disabled in doing a certain kind of threading.
GMS is neither an emulator nor a virtual machine (the closest you'll get to that are the VM-based exports, but from the sound of it, you're getting nowhere near that). Is there anything specific that gave you the idea that is related? (e.g. something we don't know about your device that is "obvious" to you)

From what I can tell, your CPU is from 2010 and has abysmal performance (compared to a modern CPU). Try checking your resource usage (e.g. Task Manager) while using GMS 2 to look for anything of the "something wrong" category, e.g. CPU or RAM usage spiking.

Please also post the full and exact error message (if the one included in the opening post isn't full or exact).

GMS is neither an emulator nor a virtual machine (the closest you'll get to that are the VM-based exports, but from the sound of it, you're getting nowhere near that). Is there anything specific that gave you the idea that is related? (e.g. something we don't know about your device that is "obvious" to you)
Forget about my idea then.
From what I can tell, your CPU is from 2010 and has abysmal performance (compared to a modern CPU). Try checking your resource usage (e.g. Task Manager) while using GMS 2 to look for anything of the "something wrong" category, e.g. CPU or RAM usage spiking.
I have viewed the resource monitor while running GMS 2 and it only ever taxes my CPU at max 80% "usage" but it does peak at 100% "frequency". Anyway I read it as coping ok.

Apart from that my Laptop is really old I can't think of anything else to say about it really.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please check the log file at C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log for anything that may indicate what the issue is. Feel free to post the contents here if you're comfortable with that, too.