• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game Maker Studio 2 "Add On Steam"

Posh Indie

That Guy
So, to be clear... if I click the "Add On Steam" button, I will have my standalone still available... as well as the Steam versions? I ask because that warning message could be taken as, "It turns your standalone version into the Steam version indefinitely" or "It binds to this Steam account indefinitely, and you cannot attach it to another one." Obviously, the latter is the way I would hope it would be based on what I read elsewhere, but I want to be certain before I push a kill switch on something I paid quite a bit for.

The other thing that makes me ask this question is that for 1.4 it says, "Add To Steam", for 2 it says, "Add On Steam". It may be a game of semantics, but different wording tends to trigger my thoughts of, "Different behavior".

Thank you, and sorry for being overly cautious!

P

psyke

Russel said somewhere that it's bidirectional, you buy GMS 2 and you get both standalone and steam versions. Not 100% sure though, you should wait for a staff to answer you.

Posh Indie

That Guy
Russel said somewhere that it's bidirectional, you buy GMS 2 and you get both standalone and steam versions. Not 100% sure though, you should wait for a staff to answer you.
I saw that and it looked promising. But like you said, I will wait for an official response (I personally like the standalone more, but sometimes the Steam version is just convenient).

G

Gleeb

Clicking the "add on steam" button activates the steam license on your steam profile.
(probably assuming you have already linked your steam profile to your yoyo profile beforehand and.. make sure it's the correct steam account you want to activate it on: )
  • Note: Please double check the Steam account linked to your account as this cannot be undone after this point. You will not receive additional Steam keys for anything you already own on the current Steam account.
Once that's done, the steam logo appears next to the product license. The software appears in your library (i did not have to restart steam, you might have to?) The download button on the account page still functions

I can run either/or/both/none concurrently.

See: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753768

Last edited by a moderator:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Clicking the "add on steam" button activates the steam license on your steam profile.
(probably assuming you have already linked your steam profile to your yoyo profile beforehand and.. make sure it's the correct steam account you want to activate it on: )
  • Note: Please double check the Steam account linked to your account as this cannot be undone after this point. You will not receive additional Steam keys for anything you already own on the current Steam account.
Once that's done, the steam logo appears next to the product license. The software appears in your library (i did not have to restart steam, you might have to?) The download button on the account page still functions

I can run either/or/both/none concurrently.

See: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753768
Sounds like you did this already, which is great! I only have one Steam account and never intend to switch, so choosing the right one is simple. Thank you!

rIKmAN

Has anyone done this the other way around yet?
ie. Bought through Steam and then had the account on YYG update to show you own GMS2 from your Steam purchase.

The Mobile / UWP modules work out about £15 cheaper for me through Steam for whatever reason, but I hate having to use Steam and would prefer to be able to use GMS2 Standalone.

Last edited: