• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

game maker studio 1.4 slow launch

Joh

Hi,

I have game maker studio 1.4.1763 and it is getting extremely unusable.
when I launch it it takes like 30+ minutes to boot. I haven't updated it in forever (don't want anything to break) but somehow it got worse and worse.
The 30 min launch is recent, no idea what cause it.
It also gets unresponsive a lot.
Before (and its still here) there was "An error has occurred in the script on this page" every launch.
after that "stop running this script" <a script on this page is causing your browser to run slowly. if it continues to run your pc might become unresponsive> prompt (thats also still here)

its clear GMS is trying to load stuff on a webpage and failing at it, but that breaks the whole program somehow.

When I do make it in the editor, it works fine, its just the launching that is completely broken. I assume it's due to some connection attempts? Anyway to stop that? I don't want to update, so I'm not sure what it tries to connect for.

Thank you!

If you think its the network, try disabling the network adapter and see if that makes a difference.

What version of windows are you using?

I would try checking your windows temp folders, GMS 1.4 as well as other programs can create a bunch of files you don't need. Remove anything from the temp folders that is older than a day or so. If you want to be a bit on the cautious side, just move them elsewhere or leave them in the Recycle Bin, don't permanently delete them until you are sure there are no side effects.

If you have access to another computer, install GMS 1.4 on there and see if it starts quickly or not.

I can't remember if you can install multiple versions of GMS 1.4 on the same computer, so I would try installing the last release of GMS 1.4.9999 on another computer, and try opening your projects using that version. If all is ok, then you can safely remove your old version of GMS 1.4 and use the newest version.

I used to get that browser error when starting GMS 1.4, but it didn't cause such a large delay in loading the app for me.

The lastest version of GMS 1.4 fixes that. It also removes the networking and direct marketplace access so you'll have to evaluate it for yourself if it suits your needs.