• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Game Maker Reviewers (GMR)

R

Rusty

Welcome to the Game Maker Reviewers thread!
Hello game developers and welcome to the Game Maker Reviewers thread. The Game Maker Community is filled with talented developers developing and publishing some incredible additions to the world of indie gaming. Unfortunately, with so many talented developers at work here, sometimes true gems can be lost in the crowd and not receive the recognition they deserve or the feedback that they need. The Game Maker Reviewers aim to fix that problem, by providing in depth reviews of your completed and still in development projects, so that they might now receive that attention and feedback that can be so crucial to a project's success.

The rules for using the Game Maker Reviewers here are simple. If you have a project that you would like to be reviewed by one of our reviewers here then PM me directly with a link to the game's topic here on the GMC, along with some details about your project, including genre, play length, development phase and such and I'll add it to the list for our reviewers to pick from. Keep in mind that the members here have no other obligation to review your game other than their personal good will and while I understand that not all feedback can be easy to read, please respect them and their opinions.

Alternatively, if you've came here as a patriotic citizen of the GMC looking to join the Game Maker Reviewers and help the projects here flourish then please get in touch with me via PM to apply for a position on the Game Maker Reviewers list. All that is required is that you are fluent in English and have an interest in reviewing some great indie games I must point out that I retain the right to refuse anybody who I feel doesn't fit into this description. Any additional information you can provide, such as your favourite game genres and your experience with Game Maker would be largely appreciated also. Also, this is a free service thread, any mention for fees or other charges for this service will see you denied or removed from the Game Maker Reviewers list.

Also, the Game Maker Reviewers is an opt-in group and all members of the GMC are both permitted to and encouraged to play, enjoy, review and give feedback to the many projects here on the GMC.

For Reviewers:
Reviewer's Template:
Project Title
Game Authour

Review Title (should you want one)

Your Review

Where to find the game (Preferrably links to Steam Greenlight/IndieDB/etc pages should they exist for the game. This section should also include any links to posts advertising any freelance artists or musicians that have been used during the development of the game to promote their business interests)

Your sign off (should you want one)
Link back to this topic.

Guidelines:
Please try to keep reviews between 300 and 1,000 words. Shorter reviews tend to provide insufficient feedback for the project and longer reviews tend to turn off casual readers before they reach the end. If you feel you have less to say or more to say on the project then feel free to go under or over these advised limitations on your own judgement.

Aura has provided the community with a very useful list of resources to help along the way with learning about Game Maker and GML. I strongly recommend reviewers take full advantage of this list and include references to helpful tutorials or resources that readers could use to develop similar games or systems in their reviews.

Also, please keep in mind to promote any freelance artists used in the development of the game to promote their business interests here on the GMC.

GMC Jam Template:
Project Title
Game Authour
<<Score>>

Your review

Guidelines:
Try to keep play time of the Jam games around upwards of half an hour. Some games might really hook you in and there are some great entrances to the GMC Jam but if these games really catch your attention be sure to circle back to them later. The important part is that the games that weren't so catchy get the feedback they need so that their developers and live and learn. If the game can't hold you for half an hour, make sure your review reflects why that was.

Try to keep each review packed into around 500 words. The Jam usually gets around 40 entrants and only a week to get round them all in. Spending too much time on one game may result in others not getting the feedback that these projects so desperately deserve!

Unlike regular reviews, I'd recommend against linking to resources or including helpful tidbits for readers to design their similar games. The GMC is a gauntlet of skill, heartache and sacrifice so please try and keep focus on the games in respect to the entrants here. The readers of these reviews are mostly just the developers trying to get a fix on how their game is being received.

Any amazing, stand out artwork that you see, please try to take note of the artists to promote their business interests here on the GMC. Don't spend too much time on this though.

If you feel like you've found a real Jam gem, feel free to go back to the game's topic once the Jam reviews are done and provide a full and proper expression of their opinion of the game there. If you send me to the link to this secondary game review as well, I'll make sure to include it in the linked reviews below.

Posting Reviews:
Reviews are to be posted on the game topic of the game they are reviewing here on the GMC. Once you have completed and posted the review of the game, PM me with the link to that post and it will be added to the list of reviews linked below this post.

Do Not Take Advantage!
Any suspected foul play, which includes vengeful or bias reviews based on personal relationships, will be reported to me and investigated. Any actions that breach the good will of this group will be grounds for removal from the Game Maker Reviewers.

Say hello to our Reviewers!
(The format of this list is subject to change)
Game Maker Reviewers

Games to be Reviewed
GMC Jam: (link to Games Topic Pending)
It is strongly encouraged that reviewers take part in the GMC Jam #1 by reviewing the games posted there starting August 1st.

Last edited: