• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Maker Resources Must-Haves

OliverSB

Of any kind. Any must-have tools?

https://yal.cc/introducing-gmlive-gml/
This will probably save the time of any developer and it feels great to not have to re-compile every time you make a small change.

Similar to scripts I found on yal.cc (but I created the 'new' one and updated for GMS2):
Script to create a new instance in GMS2 just by inputting the object. You can also input arguments that can be referenced in the create event with 'global.ct_argument' and for argument count 'global.ct_count':
Code:
/// @desc new
/// @param obj
/// @param ...args
var _instance
if (argument_count == 1) {
    _instance = instance_create_depth(0, 0, 0, argument[0]);
} else {
    var n = argument_count - 1;
    global.ct_argument = undefined;
    global.ct_count = n;
    for (var i = 0; i < n; i++) global.ct_argument[i] = argument[1 + i];
    _instance = instance_create_depth(0, 0, 0, argument[0]);
    global.ct_count = undefined;
}
return _instance
Code:
/// @desc instance_create_depth_v
/// @arg x
/// @arg y
/// @arg depth
/// @arg object
/// @arg ...args
var n = argument_count - 4;
global.ct_count = n;
for (var i = 0; i < n; i++) global.ct_argument[i] = argument[4 + i];
var r = instance_create_depth(argument[0], argument[1], argument[2], argument[3]);
return r;
return r;
Code:
/// @desc instance_create_layer_v    Creates an instance on the layer and allows arguments
/// @arg x
/// @arg y
/// @arg layer
/// @arg object
/// @arg ...args
var n = argument_count - 4;
global.ct_count = n;
for (var i = 0; i < n; i++) global.ct_argument[i] = argument[4 + i];
var r = instance_create_layer(argument[0], argument[1], argument[2], argument[3]);
return r;
https://rupeckgames.itch.io/essential-scripts
Never tried this but it looks like it has a bunch of functions most people would find useful at some point in developing in GameMaker.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4821/uiz-ultimate-gui-framework
Cannot wait for this to come to GMS2. But it looks great for UI development and I would assume this is a very common problem to tackle.

OliverSB

This is one of the best assets in the marketplace that offers many features, gives you flexibility in dealing with UI, and amazingly documented. It really is a must-have asset!
Ye but I have GameMakerStudio 2 and I found out about this after a significant amount of development so I hope we get this for GMS2 soon.

M

Misu

This... Topic... Doesnt belong in the off topic subforum. In fact i believe there is an entire subforum dedicated for this.