• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game Maker Doesn't Like Cygwin?

M

MrQuetch

I'm honestly not sure how to start this off, but I will do the best that I can to get my point across.
Let me know if anything seems unclear, and if this is even the right section to have started this thread in.

I've been using Game Maker Studio 1.4, and I'm very used to the interface. I've looked at the interface for Game Maker Studio 2, and don't want to have to switch over yet if I don't have to. I'd like to keep using Game Maker 1.4 for now.

Now here is the part I'm getting to. I downloaded Cygwin so I can make code for other systems. I've always loved code, and knew that if I learned about it, I could make some pretty cool games. But...

I've noticed that after I download Cygwin (64-bits for Windows), that Game Maker begins to give me strange errors. I want to point out that I can still get into Game Maker, I just cannot test my projects. I've done a system recovery to a couple days ago, and have tried installing Cygwin again, but I still get the exact same error message. I've even tried reinstalling Game Maker, but yet, no avail. This is it right here. I've blocked out my Version number as well as Public Key Token as these contain my information for Game Maker.

I'm really confused as to how I can fix this problem, if it is any between Game Maker and Cygwin (which I believe it is). The only thing that I can think of next is the tool chain that I downloaded for the other systems.

Let me know if anyone has ran into similar problems on this community. Maybe this way I can be lead in the right direction and get this predicament resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Edit: I've noticed that my Game Maker Player folder is gone. I'm guessing that is needed to test the games?

M

MrQuetch

It's probably not the best way that I could've solved this problem, but I finally found something that works for me.

So, I cannot use Game Maker Studio 1.4 anymore. However, I downloaded GMS 1.4 on my laptop and it works. It's a bit slower, but I can at least get my code back now from my desktop.
I've decided to download Game Maker Studio 2, and it works. It has a different interface (like I've mentioned before), but I'm sure if I just start using it I'll get used to it in no time.

It sucks that the free version of GMS 2 doesn't allow you to import older projects, but I guess it's not too bad - just have to re-create some programs I made (using my old code).
I ended up uninstalling GMS 1.4 anyways, but I'm glad the second GMS works.

So, the initial problem I believe is that GMS 1.4 doesn't like either Cygwin or my tool chain that I downloaded for other game system code. It doesn't matter anymore though.