• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Game Maker crashes on startup

Yesterday I updated xcode + command line tools over the macos system update utility.
Since then, Game Maker is crashing on startup.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Description: macOS Mojave 10.14.5
xCode Version 10.2.1
xcode-select version 2354.

Crash log is here: https://pastebin.com/64R3N5aC

I've restarted and tried to reinstall game maker, without success.

Well, it was working before. I was able to work with it on monday. Since then the only thing that changed was a system update.
And the required SDK page, does not really help. Because it only says that xCode 10 is required. And I have xCode 10 installed.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
EDIT: Posted wrong reply to this topic....

I think you'll need to file a helpdesk ticket and ask for some help from YYG.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
From the few tickets we have had about this since very late last week, the issue is that Mono is now dying during GMS2 startup. We're assuming that something in the Xcode command line tools changes your Mono install or removes something Mono needs.

Can you check which version of Mono you currently have installed and if it's not the one GMS2 requires, then please try reinstalling Mono from http://gm2016.yoyogames.com/MonoFramework-MDK-5.10.1.57.macos10.xamarin.universal.pkg

Let us know if that fixes, please.

Well, I now completely uninstalled xcode, cmd line tools and game maker.
Then rebooted. And installed it again through the app store.
After that, I installed Game Maker.
But it still crashes.

It does not seem that it install mono with it. As `which mono` and `mono --version` does not work.

I tried to install the mono version you linked

$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 5.10.1.57 (2017-12/ea8a24b1bbf Tue Apr 24 14:53:01 EDT 2018)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors
TLS: normal
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notification: kqueue
Architecture: amd64
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
Interpreter: yes
LLVM: yes(3.6.0svn-mono-master/8b1520c8aae)
GC: sgen (concurrent by default)

Rebooted and started Game Maker and again instant crash.

Last edited:
After some more digging, this still could be related to some mono issues.
However removing / installing the right mono version does not fix this issue. There may be some artifacts left of the CLTools_SDK_macOS1015 somewhere maybe, that are breaking some mono stuff.
I tried another mono application / some random irc chat and that one was also crashing.

However, I have no idea how to fix this. As I already tried wiping CLTools & xCode and reinstalling them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the double / tripple post. But the issue is still there. And I can not start Game Maker. My support ticket is also without any activity for nearly a week.

I saw that the Required SDK section is now updated:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/227860547-GMS2-Required-SDKs

IDE v2.2.3.425 and Runtime v2.2.3.337, available on the Beta Channel now, contains a workaround for Mono issues on macOS and works so far with Apple's macOS/Xcode/iOS/iPadOS/tvOS betas released just a couple of days ago - however, this might be subject to change when Apple update their tools, so we will react accordingly before 2.2.3 goes stable.
Which is cool. But, ... is there a way to opt-in for the beta channel and download the game maker beta without the IDE optin?
Because... my IDE is crashing. And if the beta would be a workaround I would take it. But there are no information how to get it, besides the IDE optin.

I also asked the yoyo account on twitter, because I dont want to spam here in the forum. But I am getting ignored.