Game Maker and Steam

XD005

Hello everyone,

So I'm currently working on my first Game Maker game to publish to Steam. Does GMS2 still work with Steam or is the API outdated and broken at the moment?
I can't seem to get any of the Steam functions to work despite putting my game ID in the proper fields and downloading the latest Steam API.
My steam initialized function just never returns true despite putting this script in a persistent object that runs throughout the whole game.
Does it need to first be uploaded onto SteamWorks and run within the Steam wrapper to take effect?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm pretty sure it needs to be run through Steam for the steam functions to work. I experienced similar issues that time I released a game on Steam, but since I was working with a publisher at the time (and not having the steam credentials for the account the game was uploaded under) a lot of additional things went wrong or became more complicated with the GM/steam integration, so I'm not 100% sure what were normal failures and what were my-situation-being-weird failures.

XD005

Gotcha, I figured as much.
That'll make Playtesting difficult then.
But hey thats what beta releases are for lol.
Thanks.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've seen one of my GM-using acquaintances constantly pop up "Playing <game that's not released yet>" notifications (sometimes within seconds of one another), so I'd imagine you can either upload private testing builds or test via the Steam version of GM and both of those things give you Steamworks integration so you can test all those features.

Tazdraperm

As one who recently released a game made with GMS into steam I can confirm that SteamAPI functions work just fine.

However you need to buy Steam Direct slot and get your unique AppID. After that you will be able to test almost everything but Stats and Achievements simply from IDE. You don't even need to upload a build at this point.

For Stats and Achievements you will need to setup them via steam website and upload at least one build.