• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game Maker 8.1 Not Launching

N

NobleValerian

GameMaker 8.1 recently became completely unstable when attempting to launch the program.

Nothing changed on my system, there were no other installations or updates in between uses, but the next time I attempted to run GameMaker, it just repeatedly attempted to open then closed out. The icon shows up in the tray over and over again unless you mouse over it, then it disappears and reappears over and over. In the task manager, it doesn't show up in applications but the process appears and disappears over and over.

There's no reliable way to get the program to actually open, but I found if I time my clicks and right click on the tray icon when it shows up, eventually the program opens and the cycle stops. I'm not sure what the trigger is exactly, maybe getting my mouse over the popup menu before the icon disappears again?

Windows 7, 64 bit, lots of ram, lots of hd space, great processor, pretty good graphics card. Been using it without issue for a week. Uninstalled and reinstalled (player, studio, 8.1), tried disabling antivirus, clearing caches and temporary files, removing update folders, attempted suggestions in forum threads - the works, and haven't had any luck. I don't have this issue with Studio, it loads fine.

KurtBlissZ

Maybe when it's unistall try deleting it out of the registry or run ccleaner and the cleaner then scan for issues in the registry maybe. Of course, reboot your computer first and see if that fixes it ;P

Edit:

Idk, You should have a game maker exe in
%APPDATA%\GameMaker\

and you should also have stuff in your programs directory too
%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Game Maker 8.1

I mean I know with windows 10 to the data in the appdata folder is always missing and I have to manually put it there from another computer. But I don't think that would happen in windows 7

Last edited: