• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game Maker 8.1 is it ok to use it to make an RPG or is it better for Jump and Run?

R

RPGNerd

Hi, dear fellow students of the game,

I try to make a game and got stuck with Gamemaker 8.1 Lite because I could make a simple 2D game with it.

I need this game for my application to show off I have art and concept design skills.

Is it ok to use the Game Maker 8.1? I learned fundamental things like what is an array, interger, bollean and how to operate mathematically but I feel I still suck after 4 Days. I have 9 more days to make an easy game that works and impresses my sensei. I live in Berlin so if some words seem funny, its because I am German.

Thanks for your reply. I hope my first Tread is not Offtopic...

S

Sarcasmonk

Are you trying to show your pixel art skills? because thats the majority of what gamemaker allows or does

R

RPGNerd

Right I try this and also have a complete game to present to my teacher

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can, but why use a decade-old version of GM that risks crashing on Windows 10 due to audio driver issues? Is your teacher making you use 8.1, or do your school computers still run XP?

R

RPGNerd

I used Gamemaker 8.1 at first because I had no clue what to use. If anything else is better I got a 10 Day Trial Version right?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I used Gamemaker 8.1 at first because I had no clue what to use. If anything else is better I got a 10 Day Trial Version right?
A better idea would be to NOT make a game for your project, and show your art and design skills in ways that you already know well. Say a comic strip, or a board game, or advertisements for revitalizing tourism/restaurants in your hometown. At least this way you have certainty in making a reasonable product, not like with game development where you're still in an unfamiliar subject and unexpected difficulties come up regularly. Then once your school project is over and you still want to explore, you can choose to browse around for game engines that are still in active support (for GM it's GM:Studio 2.2.5 stable / 2.3 beta), then choose one and commit to learning it in your spare time.

Hardly anyone around here started off full-ham on a school project. This is an unnecessary and unreasonable gamble unless it is mandated as part of the assignment. Most began with small personal projects, and only incidentally used it for school/work when opportunity came up after becoming experienced.

R

RPGNerd

My mistake you can see my age? I said teacher I meant the professor at a University. But maybe nevertheless this applies to me your advice. So even if its bad for me I confess I am 32 years old and out of college with a job degree in Office Management Assistance and I really want to study game design.