• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Game Maker 8.1 can't install extension packages (solved)

Silb

Greetings,
I downloaded an extension package for GM8.1, but no matter where I place the files, Game Maker does not recognize them. Even the example .gm81 file shows an error on startup: "Cannot find extension package". Is there any solution to this?

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You don't just place the files somewhere, you need to actually install them.
  • Click the + sign next to the help icon
  • Click the Install button in the Extension Packages window that comes up
  • Click the Install button in the Installing Extension Packages window that comes up
  • Select your extension and confirm all the way through

Silb

I could've sworn I tried this earlier, but apparently not. It worked flawlessly, thanks for the fast reply! :D

C

chor64

If someone else comes across this problem, lauch game maker 8 as administrator,
install the packages and then open it normally, it always works (at least for me)