Game Maker 7 Pro

R

Ryan Silberman

Hi. I'm a very longtime Game Maker user, but first time forum poster here.

I am trying to experiment with video implementations. In Game Maker Studio I used GIFs to compensate for actual video, but the filesize increases tremendously. So I'd try and use Game Maker 8 Pro to implement video files themselves, but then during playback, there's this "X" at the top-right corner distracting from the playback itself.

I remember back when I used Game Maker 7 Pro that there would be video playback sans that X.

So what I want to know is - Is there any possible way I could get Game Maker 7 Pro again?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
No, 7 and 8.0 cannot be registered legitimately anymore, even if you have the key and installer. Softwrap folded almost half a decade ago.

K

Kuro

Welcome to the forum!

Now my curiousity has been piqued. In the couple of months I've been visiting this forum I've never heard 8 or 7 mentioned at all, and then in just this last week I've sudenly encountered like 10 different mentions of them. So now my curiousity is eating at me. What's is the alure of gamemaker 8 and 7? And why are they exerting some sort of siren's call from beyond the grave this past week?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Correction, as far as I know you can still get GameMaker 7 with a copy of the Game Maker's Apprentice.

Google it; it should be available on Amazon among other places...

In addition, GameMaker: Studio 1.4 has several video playback extensions available from the Marketplace. I particularly recommend this one. It uses FFMPEG, so it's very diverse with the amount of formats and codecs it supports.

If you are looking for something that works in GameMaker Studio 2, you can use this. Though, it's not as nice because you have to convert your video to some unique, unknown format that can only be played using the extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kuro

Correction, as far as I know you can still get GameMaker 7 with a copy of the Game Maker's Apprentice.

In addition, GameMaker: Studio 1.4 has several video playback extensions available from the Marketplace. I particularly recommend this one. It uses FFMPEG, so it's very diverse with the amount of formats and codecs it supports.

If you are looking for something that works in GameMaker Studio 2, you can use this. Though, it's not as nice because you have to convert your video to some unique, unknown format that can only be played using the extension.
Oh cool. I have that book! Although I can't currently find it. But it does mean I might have that disc too if it's with the book, assuming I ever find the book. Actually, I might make more of an effort to dig it up out of curiousity to see if Gamemaker 7 runs on Windows 8 and for nostalgia reasons.

zbox

GMC Elder
Wow came to shill in this thread and Samuel's already done it for me ;) Cheers

I'd love for at some point in the future to have a non-proprietary format but unfortunately it's not feasible with the current setup and makes it so that no matter what the export, it will always work 100%. Similar to how the very popular Bink runs their business in terms of, proprietary format, maximum portability (minus huuuge licensing fees and years of development).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

@zbox Then again, I forgot your extension can render videos as 3D textures, you can also draw them with depth and a lot of other cool and useful features the CTT Video Player can't do. Depending on the needs of the developer, I think the latter link I shared most people would be more interested in. :)

@Kuro Cool! If you already have it, then great. Glad I could help. Hope you find that disc! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

kamiyasi

I started with Game Maker 7 back in 2007 or so. I've never felt the need to go back after using GMS but there are a lot of obsolete functions such as video playback that I may miss in certain cercumstances. My best advice is to look for exstentions that add the functionalities you're looking for.

R

Ryan Silberman

I decided to buy the video player extension. I actually am surprised how flexible it is. Thanks for the suggestion!