• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Game Maker 1.4 acquiring license successful but doesn't progress

Lewa

So, recently (today) i ran into a licensing issue with Game Maker 1.4. (Installing it again after a windows 10 reinstall.)
The issue is that after entering my licensing information (in this case the email/pw of my YYG account) my GM 1.4 professional license successfully goes through.

restart.png
After being promted to restart GM 1.4 so that the license upgrade can take effect it reverts back to the licensing screen
restart2.png
Never had any issues with this. Anyone experiencing similar problems? (Are the licensing servers affected?)

I already tried a clean install (deinstalling GM as well as wiping any kind of traces of this sofware from the appdata directory as well as the registry) and it still doesn't work.

Lewa

Signing into my account works without any issues. (Though i had to reset my password as the old one didn't follow the new password rules imposed by the migration.) Only the licensing process in the IDE doesn't.
I don't have a license key as this YYG account is linked with Steam (where game maker was bought.) So i can't use a key to validate the license.
(Using the Steam version of GMS 1.4 is also not an option for various reasons.)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I don't have a license key as this YYG account is linked with Steam (where game maker was bought.) So i can't use a key to validate the license.
On your account page under gamemaker -> products
there should be an option to put in your steam key and get a desktop download, as long as its not a trial license

(Using the Steam version of GMS 1.4 is also not an option for various reasons.)
and whys that?

Lewa

On your account page under gamemaker -> products
there should be an option to put in your steam key and get a desktop download, as long as its not a trial license
I don't have that option. Under GameMaker > Products the only thing i can see is the ability to buy Game Maker Studio 2. (I don't have a Game Maker Studio 2 license.)
I can download GMS 1.4 under GameMaker > Downloads (there is a GMS 1.4 tab there) but this installer requires you to activate the license during the installation process. (which doesn't work for me anymore.)

and whys that?
The beta channel in the standalone release (which you can download from Yoyogames) is more up-to date compared to the beta channel on Steam. (And my current game/project requires the latest 1.4.999 release of GMS 1.4 to function properly due to some crucial bugfixes which are missing in the older version which is hosted on Steam.)
Essentially the most recent available version in the standalone installer is 1.4.999. On Steam that's not the case.