• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Game lags briefly while in full screen

Kiwi

Don't know why, but this happens in every project I make.

The game runs super smoothly in windowed mode, with no frame drops whatsoever. But then when I enter fullscreen, it *sometimes* drops from 60 to ~30 while the screen tears, then it goes back to normal after a few seconds. The problem also fixes itself if I exit fullscreen and then re-enter it.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

S

spoonsinbunnies

if it only tears for a brief second or two before fixing itself, its probably something to do with the hardware adjusting, I could be wrong, but a better question would be if your game adjusts to fullscreen in a pause menu or such is it long enough that the player would even notice? If it happens only once, it would stand to reason you could flip the setting and unflip it at the start menu and it would remove the problem maybe? not sure why in gamemaker specifically this would happen.

Binsk

Disable vsync in your game settings (or via code). If you can't reach 60fps (even if it is 59fps) vsync will drop the framerate to 30.

As vsync only occurs in fullscreen I'm assuming this is your issue.