• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game is completely black and no sprites show up when running game?

T

ThePunisher

Hello all,

I am new to GMS2, however I am in the process of developing my first game using this engine. I have encountered an issue when running my game, when getting the feel of things I ended up hitting the "Clean" button and when I did I then hit "Run". But for whatever reason my objects are not showing up in my room like they did before... I am on the latest build, and I have tried all troubleshooting steps I could find. I even made a new project and tried that as well.. same issue occurs. Below are some screen shots, along with steps of things I have tried. For whatever reason I still cannot get my objects to display in the room... This is very frustrating.

Things I have tried:
1. Rebooting my PC
2. Checking for Windows updates
3. relaunching GMS2
4. Resetting cache on GMS2
5. Deleting and replacing objects back onto the instance layer
6. Making sure the "Visible" button was checked.
7. Adding code to the "Draw event" draw_self();
8. Resetting all settings on GMS2 to default

Still nothing shows up, and I have yet to figure out what is causing this issue... All the help is appreciated.

Attachments

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Have you tried disabling your anti-virus? I've seen this very same issue being caused by the AV blocking GM's access to assets... If that works, then you'll need to whitelist GM..

T

ThePunisher

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus? I've seen this very same issue being caused by the AV blocking GM's access to assets... If that works, then you'll need to whitelist GM..
Hey there! Thanks for the reply! I have tried turning it off for a while, I use Avast and have heard people with Avast are having some issues. I am going to try and exclude the path of GMS2 into the Avast client and try again... might of been that the whole time! I appreciate the reply! I will let you know if this resolves the issue or not.

T

ThePunisher

It was my anti virus... smh... However I do have this issue that my sprite smears across the screen? The support tech from Yoyogames stated " (Note that you do also have an issue in that you have turned off all GPU clearing in your game, so your sprites smear when they move.) " Not sure how to fix that or enable it? Any thoughts or ideas?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Glad the original issue is fixed! The other is issue is simply because you don't have a background layer in the room with a colour. Basically, by adding a background with a colour, you are clearing the display buffer every frame with that colour... If you don't have that background (or any fullscreen draw), then things are drawn directly to the display buffer but it's not cleared, so every frame that is drawn remains on the screen giving that smearing/trail effect. It can actually be quite usefull for special effects, but in general you'll want to always have a background layer in a room to prevent it.

T

ThePunisher

Glad the original issue is fixed! The other is issue is simply because you don't have a background layer in the room with a colour. Basically, by adding a background with a colour, you are clearing the display buffer every frame with that colour... If you don't have that background (or any fullscreen draw), then things are drawn directly to the display buffer but it's not cleared, so every frame that is drawn remains on the screen giving that smearing/trail effect. It can actually be quite usefull for special effects, but in general you'll want to always have a background layer in a room to prevent it.
Nocturne you sir are the best! Thank you for the help! I am still fairly new to GMS2 and am just getting the hang of things!! Issue is now fixed... I forgot I removed the background to test things I thought that was causing my sprites to not show on screen.... Thank you again for the help!!!

Happy New Year to you !