• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Idea Too Mature?

C

ChaseSmith

I have a particular idea for a game, made via Game Maker. The problem is, I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to post it here due to it being a bit violent. I do not want to go overboard and post something that isn't up to the rules, which is why I would like to know whether or not I may tone it down? To give you an idea, here are a few of the things that may be found in the game:

*A bit of gore (blood, decap, etc.).
*A bit explicit, as it would involve a humanoid alien race, hence, not "well-clothed" characters.
*Weapons, too much weapons, think of it as a cross between the Alien movies and Doom.

Would love to hear your feedback, guys.

Genetix

From the sounds of it, the game fits right in.

People are sensitive about some things - Like the School Shooting Simulator that Valve just banned from Steam. Violence is (ironically) far more acceptable then sexuality in gaming these days. It is an interesting thing to look at. The important thing to note is your target audience & platform when developing a game.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have a particular idea for a game, made via Game Maker. The problem is, I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to post it here due to it being a bit violent. I do not want to go overboard and post something that isn't up to the rules, which is why I would like to know whether or not I may tone it down? To give you an idea, here are a few of the things that may be found in the game:

*A bit of gore (blood, decap, etc.).
*A bit explicit, as it would involve a humanoid alien race, hence, not "well-clothed" characters.
*Weapons, too much weapons, think of it as a cross between the Alien movies and Doom.

Would love to hear your feedback, guys.
Generally people are more tolerant the less the situations in media look like IRL situations involving real humans. Disney has gotten away with having several characters that walk around without pants in public for over 70 years, because they're obviously not humans (and the most famous ones are avian and thus wouldn't have visible genitals even if drawn in a fully realistic style). If you want nude characters, making them furries is the goto solution: you could always use "they have fur so their dirty bits are censored!" as a justification.

Gore is totally fine, you can do up to whatever the latest Mortal Kombat game did without sparking too much controversy. These guys are the reason we have ESRB and other maturity rating systems, so they know what they're doing.

Nobody will complain about you using weapons, since it's pretty much accepted as fact that combat is the only form of conflict that makes good games. You should take care to not use real weapon brands in your game, though (Colt, Mauser, etc) because it could infringe on copyrights, and also it might get you too close to those uncomfortable real situations. When in doubt, make swords so heavy they wouldn't be possible to lift IRL. This guy has done a lot of videos about comparing weapons in fiction with real weapons and could be good research material.

Also, important side note: make sure to indicate that your game is meant for mature audiences. Ideally on the top of every store page you put it on. It's partially a moral/legal disclaimer, and partially it makes people that likes mature stuff enticed.

Z

zendraw

i dont think its about nudity but the parts that are revealed from a nude person. is that right?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
i dont think its about nudity but the parts that are revealed from a nude person. is that right?
Only if that person is a human. There are no social norms for other creatures to wear clothes (although it's just a matter of time before it starts applying to pugs too).

Z

zendraw

Only if that person is a human. There are no social norms for other creatures to wear clothes (although it's just a matter of time before it starts applying to pugs too).
what? i admit i will go suicidal if that happens in my country.