• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game idea feedback (space transporter)

Niels

Hi everyone,

I have a game idea that's in my head for 2 years now, and before I spend serieus time developing it I like to have some feedback of the concept.

Concept:

You play as a space trucker with a small crappy spaceship (space van).
To get by you transport goods from one place to the other.
When you make money you can buy new arms, armor and other upgrades (like a extra storage containe, more powercells or a shield) for your ship.
This allows for more dangerous deliveries in further sectors of space.

Gameplay loop:

-Player take missions from a missionboard intercom and has to strategicly pick the mission he thinks his ship can handle (mission menu shows what enemies/obstacles to expect).
-During the mission, the game has a top down view, where the player controls 1 turret/weapon at the time (other guns are managed by recruited npcs) and can use powers with cool down (shield boosts and heavy weapons).but the ship itself won't be controllable.
This makes the gameplay a mix of a basebuilding game, and a turret defense game.
All weapons and powers draw from the same powersource. So players can actually turn off some weapons to overdrive other weapons, boost the shields, or initiate a repair module.
-When players arrive at the destination, they get the reward and use that money to pay for repairs and upgrades.
The upgrade system works as following:
The spaceship is modulair, so building extra storage, a power module, or something else will increase the ships size (like a base in a rts), turrets and other weaponry can be build upon the modules.
The player can also recruit mechanics, gunners or upgrade existing modules to better ones.
From there the player can pick a new mission.

Idea has potential to be fun, or is flawed by design?
Thx for reading.

YanBG

Ideas are not important for a game. :) You should start implementing the design and then a lot of it can change.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
A small prototype would give you a quick Idea if it feels good. What can kill a trade game like this is repetitive actions to do. Transporting goods is not so 'epic'. Steal it and escape while dodging and fighting pirates is more fun.

D

Dan McKinnon

Sounds interesting to me. What NazGhul said, make a prototype. See if it's fun. Let me see it when you are done ;)

Llama_Code

On the surface it sounds a lot like Wing Commander Privateer, a game I loved dearly in my younger years.

You ran missions to get money to upgrade your ship. They could be peaceful missions of delivering cargo or missions where you had to take out some bad guys, there was different mission givers, and of course on any mission you could run in to trouble and have to fight. You could upgrade your ships or buy new bigger better ships with more upgrade slots.

It had a story and plot line but you could ignore it and just run missions if you wanted.