• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game graphics and quality

L

lionheard

i have almost finished a game with asteroids, ufo and black holes but i have a problem i dont know what graphics or quality i should use. it is a simple game not very complicated but i wanted some help to choose the graphics and quality of the game. Is anyone?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What do you mean by the graphics and the quality? The game resolution? The style of graphics? Or are you looking for help programing a quality setting or setting the window size? A bit more info would be a big help!

L

lionheard

What do you mean by the graphics and the quality? The game resolution? The style of graphics? Or are you looking for help programing a quality setting or setting the window size? A bit more info would be a big help!
yes for all you just maintiont

Rayek

Go with a 2d simple look:
https://kenney.nl/assets/space-shooter-redux

Or use 3d rendered sprites just like Super Stardust AGA:

Or an upgraded super retro-neon vector lines look like Gravitron2, Gravity Crash, or Pixeljunk SIdescroller

Personally, I love the look of those retro-classic neon vector graphics the best. And simple to make.

Rayek

Agreed! When you realize the hardware limits back then - just look at the smoothness of the play. Amazing. Asteroids 2600 was the first 2600 game with bank switching to increase the ROM from 4K to 8K.

For Asteroids the programmer had to use a trick to display that many objects on the screen: notice how the asteroids move vertically, and never cross the screen horizontally.

L

Lonewolff

For Asteroids the programmer had to use a trick to display that many objects on the screen: notice how the asteroids move vertically, and never cross the screen horizontally.
Interesting. Never really noticed that.

Hardcore C64 coders used to do a similar thing, where they would draw the screen mid scan to effectively double the amount of available hardware sprites.

Another good one was where they would flicker between two colours (of similar brightness) in order to produce colours that weren't even in the palette.

Real coders back then!

Rayek

Interesting. Never really noticed that.

Hardcore C64 coders used to do a similar thing, where they would draw the screen mid scan to effectively double the amount of available hardware sprites.

Another good one was where they would flicker between two colours (of similar brightness) in order to produce colours that weren't even in the palette.

Real coders back then!
Recall the old C64 trick to create high resolution coloured sprites? Overlay a multi-colour sprite with a one-colour high res sprite.

L

Lonewolff

Yep! Been there.

I remember typing so much basic code on my C64 that it would corrupt itself once you got over about 10K.

Rayek

I remember typing the listing of a C64 game that was published in Compute! The screenshot looked amazing (I was quite naive).

A listing of 3 pages, double columns, consisting of assembly code (pure numbers) - page, after page, after page. And another listing had to be typed first to load up the assembly code.When I finally finished after a day of HOURS and HOURS of typing, I forgot to save the program to cassette, and just ran it.

My C64 decided to reset, and all was lost. Obviously I was besides myself, and I am still mad up to this day. I never attempted to type a magazine listing ever again after that aggravating experience!

Never got to play the damn game either.

BUT! I just checked the Compute! archive, and found it!
http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=2109&d=42
Page 74

Amazing how the human brain has an almost photographic visual memory. I recognized the cover immediately!

Demons of Osiris was written entirely in
machine language using modular program
ming. The program consists of a series of
routines (modules) which are executed from
a main or "master" loop. This programming
technique allows you to test routines as indi
vidual units. Once you decide that one routine
works correctly, then you can start on the
next routine. Modules used within this pro
gram include a routine to detect collision
between sprites and other sprites, routines
to detect collision between characters and
sprites, and a routine to let any of the eight
sprites cross the notorious seam on the right
of the screen (sprite X-position 255).​

Amazing! MODULAR PROGRAMMING! Oh Boy!

I found it online here: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=2109&d=42
And finally got to play it in a c64 emulator tonight.

What an exciting moment in my life. I finally got to play it! Let's load it up!

Meh, kinda sucked. I might remake it, though, just for kicks.

Well, one more item struck off the bucket list.
I am finally able to leave this dire episode in my life behind me. :D

...after 34 YEARS

L

lionheard

4k is to much i think. MY game is in 2d and it is a limitless game with scores an arcade game and it only has asteroids and a space ship
I dont want to make its assets to real but in the same time not to unreal so ieed some examples of what assets and background should i use

It sounds like you know what you want, @lionheard. Why not check out some other space/shooter games and decide what you like? DoDonPachi, R-Type, Gradius, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Star Fox, Asteroids, Galaga...there are tons of examples out there you can check out! Even just typing "shmup" into Google will give you lots of cool results. Good luck! =)

Toque

4k is to much i think. MY game is in 2d and it is a limitless game with scores an arcade game and it only has asteroids and a space ship
I dont want to make its assets to real but in the same time not to unreal so ieed some examples of what assets and background should i use

NASA has a massive list of images of space. They are beautiful. Free to use or inspire a background.

I would google search space games and see what styles you like. It’s a start.

I think for the kind of games you mention, those graphical styles have been done to death. Maybe you should look at abstract representations?

Like:
1) Your ship is a photograph of a brain
2) Every time you fire a digitally scanned image of question mark made out of clay appears, and is accompanied by a farting noise
3) Your bullets are psychedelically rendered philosophical quotes about morality / mortality / spirituality and the likes
4) Your smart bomb could be Edvard Munch's 'The scream' - it appears, opens it's mouth to scream, and out fly a horde of stuffed cats that shoot laser beams from their eyes
5) The enemy types all represent existential crises, and are based on the works of Hieronymus Bosch and Salvador Dali

Sure - storywise it could be about you defending an invasion by brain sucking Zebulons from the planet 'Zebulon 53 and a third', but behind this seemingly sensible facade the deeper meta asks the question: "what does it mean to be human?"

Jeff Minter has had a long career out of making games like this :)

Just give your game a good cohesive style. It doesn't need to be high quality art, but just make sure it looks good together and fits.