• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

game froze a users pc

T

teamrocketboyz

Hello all, im currently working on my first (full) project and i had my first downloader today. the problem is that he says upon loading the demo it froze his pc and he needed to do a hard reset.

would anyone here please verify this as it works fine on my pc.

thank you in advance

demo can be found here

obscene

If he says it happened, I'm sure it happened. I doubt anyone will want to download this to take a chance to freeze their computer (but maybe someone will prove me wrong.) Generally a freeze is caused by an infinite loop (for, while, do). If you know when it happened, hopefully you can know where to look and check for any potential way your loops could run infinitely.

T

teamrocketboyz

If he says it happened, I'm sure it happened. I doubt anyone will want to download this to take a chance to freeze their computer (but maybe someone will prove me wrong.) Generally a freeze is caused by an infinite loop (for, while, do). If you know when it happened, hopefully you can know where to look and check for any potential way your loops could run infinitely.
I'm not doubting that it happened I'm just trying to figure out if this is a widespread problem. And I haven't used any (for, while, do) statements...... My pc runs the demo just fine with no problems at all. Hmmmm maybe it's back to the old drawing board

pixeltroid

I'm not doubting that it happened I'm just trying to figure out if this is a widespread problem. And I haven't used any (for, while, do) statements...... My pc runs the demo just fine with no problems at all. Hmmmm maybe it's back to the old drawing board
Can't you test out the game at a computer at work/school/uni or something?

O.Stogden

Even a while/for loop that's infinite usually only crashes the application itself, not the whole computer. I've never had a case with a game I've made in GM freezing the computer entirely, I wasn't sure it was possible.

Like the others have said, not keen on downloading it myself, best to use another computer or a friend to test it.

T

teamrocketboyz

Even a while/for loop that's infinite usually only crashes the application itself, not the whole computer. I've never had a case with a game I've made in GM freezing the computer entirely, I wasn't sure it was possible.

Like the others have said, not keen on downloading it myself, best to use another computer or a friend to test it.
thats exactly what i thought. never have i ever had a game made in gms crash my pc. the good news is that ive just downloaded it on my wifes laptop and it worked fine. ( she has a pretty powerful laptop) but still it ran great. (more fps than i have on my pc).

i believe your safe to try it out and think this is an isolated incident.

pixeltroid

Glad that it worked on other machines. So it's probably an issue with my PC. I'll check out your game on another machine later. :D

B

booksmaster

Ok. It doesnt freez anything. It is playable but I needed about 3 minutes to understand how to start the game and how to play. So you should probably work on the interface and the assist system. I also didnd understand how to throw the coin into the slot machine. I didnt have any enemyies in the helicopter game and didn't understand what should I do in the football game. So averall it looks nice but a lot of work to do. And I also don't understand why your game size is over 100mb. It doesn't look like it should be more that 15-20mb. If you are interested I had from 2k to 7k fps in different rooms.