• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game files corrupted?

Vintendi

I encountered an issue where I am no longer able to open my game in GMS2.
It begun with my pc lagging heavily to the point where I could not do anything. I had task manager opened and managed to alt+tab to it. It showed my CPU running at 100% with game maker using 99%. I did not have my game running I had just opened the file. I thought maybe it was loading something so I waited around 15min, when I came back nothing had changed. I then proceeded to force close game maker with task manager because nothing else would work (probably a bad idea). I re-opened it and now receive an error when trying to load the game (Project load failed. Unable to load C:\......).
Was wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if they knew how to fix it. I will be creating a bug ticket as well.

EDIT: Just opened the directory where the game is located and saw that the .yyp file is 0 bytes.

Toque

Project files can corrupt. I’m not sure how to fix. I incremental save with different names. 100.1. 100.2. ........... and backup with super duper and time machine. Even if a files corrupts I would only lose at most an hour work.

I hope you can restore some how.

Vintendi

Project files can corrupt. I’m not sure how to fix. I incremental save with different names. 100.1. 100.2. ........... and backup with super duper and time machine. Even if a files corrupts I would only lose at most an hour work.

I hope you can restore some how.
Yeah, i usually back up but wasn't sure if it as going to become a good game yet so i waited.. lesson learned.

Toque

Sorry to hear. I hope its not a huge loss.

A lot of my games should of corrupted and lost and never published. (joke)

gnysek

Next stable release should fix a lot of issues with corruption of files from what I see in release notes. You can try beta, but as with all betas, it's not 100% safe.

DukeSoft

Use version control (I suggest Git). GMS2 isn't supposed to break your project, but it happens. The only real thing you can do about that is back-up your projects. The easiest way would be to use version control. Make sure you commit every now and then - and if you have a free bitbucket account you can also "backup" your stuff online by pushing your changes to your online repository. Also great for testing new stuff - just work on a new branch, and switch back whenever you like :)

Vintendi

Use version control (I suggest Git). GMS2 isn't supposed to break your project, but it happens. The only real thing you can do about that is back-up your projects. The easiest way would be to use version control. Make sure you commit every now and then - and if you have a free bitbucket account you can also "backup" your stuff online by pushing your changes to your online repository. Also great for testing new stuff - just work on a new branch, and switch back whenever you like :)
Yeah they responded to my ticket saying that it was rendering something which it was using my CPU to do instead of my GPU which overloaded it causing it to crash.

bsabiston

@gnysek I hope that's true about the next stable release. This is a serious issue -- every time I work for a few hours, GMS2 manages to corrupt one of my files and I lose it. Sometimes it's the project file, sometimes a script. This is not acceptable for an IDE to have a frequently recurring problem like this.

Reactions: JAG

JAG

I also have been experiencing regular file corruptions since I started using GMS2 about a year ago, I diligently source control everything but under certain conditions I still lose work (eg when Ive added a couple new objects and the project .yy file becomes corrupt). It's infuriating. I hope the next release really does fix this issue.

It's really frustrating to lose work because of corruption and it's been a serious issue for a long time. I have the licensed version - IDE v2.2.1.375 and Runtime v2.2.1.287. I contacted technical support about it a while ago and I received a response a month later!! No exaggeration. I didn't even bother to respond because at that point I ended up recreating a lot of the corrupted resources (wasting a lot of time, which I don't have). Today I'm going to give the free version of Unity a whirl. At this point it can't hurt.

bsabiston

Damn -- I just got the 2.2.1.375 update. I was hoping it addressed the file corruption thing. Yeah GMS seems like a flaky company. I get the feeling it is just a small group of people who can't or don't want to hire enough people to properly support their expensive product. I always have to wait at least a month for technical support questions to be answered. That's shameful, really. I am always afraid they are going to go out of business and I'll have no way of being able to maintain my already-published games... I love GameMaker, I just wish they supported it better. Having an IDE which routinely destroys your work is about the worst thing an IDE can do.