• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game doesn't see included files after 2.3.3 update

Seb

I'm having the same issue. It was working for a couple years for my project and now, with the latest update, it's busted. My code hasn't changed, so definitely the latest update.

I did originally request a bug for it, which got open/closed because they had a small project which showed that it work and I did a clean which fixed it. However, I just re-opened the request, because it came back the next time I restarted my project.

For me it's ini_open("language.ini");. The file actually shows up in the temp directory created by the IDE, but can't find.

I've removed/re-added to the datafile folder (through the IDE). I've clean - rebuild, etc. Doing a clean fixes it 25% of the time (It started working again but then once you close the IDE and start it up again, it's no longer working)

If you do a new small project with only that, it seems to work which is odd.

Having the same issue as well. Cleaning didn't help. The weirdest thing is, this only seems to happen when running the game from the IDE (debug mode or not doesn't appear to make a difference). When I package the game as a build, unzip it and run the exe, it works normally. I'm using the VM for my builds rather than the compiler.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please make a backup copy of the project in its broken state (in case you have to send a bug report, a fixed project will not be very helpful).

Try exporting the project and importing it again (from the File menu).

Seb

Guessing under the hood, when running in the IDE sandbox, its probably making full paths and assigning them to char*. And at some point, maybe their memory gets nulled or reused by something else. It didn't bug out on a tiny project but happens every time on my project which is massive. So if there is any allocation limits, I might of hit one and the memory assigned to the char* path got reused. (rug pulled from underneath). Those can be so hard bugs to find, since they only happen in certain conditions...

(Guessing here, but I've seen stuff like this happen in my own career.)

Last edited:

yeo

> Doing a clean fixes it 25% of the time (It started working again but then once you close the IDE and start it up again, it's no longer working)

The same, yes. Bad thing that using previous runtimes doesn't help. So if somebody was close to release, it's a disaster.

> When I package the game as a build, unzip it and run the exe, it works normally.

That's interesting. If it works like like this, it's not that bad then. My game still reads files from "AppData\Local\game" folder so I made a subfolder and moved included files there for now. In the game you can use some global variable for this directory and change it to "working_directory" before release (and copy files from that directory to datafiles folder).

But I hope they will fix it.

Last edited:

yeo

Tired to install non-steam version of GMS 2 (I used Steam version). It works with included files for now.

Seb

Tired to install non-steam version of GMS 2 (I used Steam version). It works with included files for now.
Oh that's interesting. I have the Steam version as well. I might try this tonight after work

Seb

Confirmed! Works on the non-steam version. So this is a Steam version specific bug

I also haven't received a reply from re-opening the ticket, which I did late last week.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think if you switch off the Use alternative launcher for Steam Applications when you are running the Steam version it may work... there seems to have been a problem introduced with this option.

Russell

Flo

Hello,

Same issue here added to audio groups not being played.
Packaging the project was working as intended.

Switched to the stand alone version and everything works.

I also logged a ticket for the sake of the other users on Steam.

Thanks for the tip, it was driving me crazy!

Last edited: