• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game does not recognise newly created objects

Oak

Hi all,

I have had this issue intermittently since 2.3 came out.
I create or duplicate an object into existence and work on it, place it into the room, load the game and it is not there. Checking for the instance/object name etc does not turn up results.
However the object still appears outside the game.

Closing and reloading the program gives the error 'cannot find object which is referenced in (room)' and where I placed the object is question marks which do not allow the game to run unless I delete them.

I cannot revert to an older version of gamemaker as it says that I have objects associated with the new IDE, and I need the new IDE to open my game, but the new IDE does not allow me to create new objects so I literally cannot work on my game lol.

I have tried the workaround related to disappearing sprites with adding files to my antivirus whitelist etc but it did not make a difference.

Is this happening to anyone else? What can I do?

gnysek

Have you tried to completely disable antivirus for several minutes to check, that it happens then too? Also, don't forget to clear asset cache (icon on top bar) if you have any issues when running game.

Toque

thats odd. Create a new project. New object and test that. Same? Or just your current project?

Oak

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses.
Disabling antivirus, clearing the asset cache did not work.

When I create a new project with a new sprite+object, it works
Doing the same thing in my current project does not.

Not sure where to go from here :(

Oak

Problem solved!

I was running the project from an external hard drive, saving it to my internal hard drive now allows me to create new objects successfully. Phew :)
Thanks for your suggestions.