Game development help

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

Hey, everyone! This is my first forum post. Now, I wanna know how to make a 3D game. Yeah, I have to use GML. Also, for cross-platform publishing, is GML supported? I'm just asking. I have Game Maker: Studio (Steam version), and I'd like to learn the fundamentals of a 3D game. Any help would be much appreciated, have a great day and adios!

Genetix

Cross platform publishing is supported - but it really depends on where you want to publish, and how well your concept will port to various platforms.There are hardly any details to discuss here at all. What kind of 3d game do you want to make?

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

Cross platform publishing is supported - but it really depends on where you want to publish, and how well your concept will port to various platforms.There are hardly any details to discuss here at all. What kind of 3d game do you want to make?
A third person shooter (possibly photorealistic), taking place in a post-apocalyptic future. Also, do people still use Game Maker: Studio? I have the free Steam edition (planning to upgrade), and I don't really want to pay for Game Maker: Studio 2 even though it's better. I didn't need any tutorials for 2D, so how hard do you think 3D will be? Oh, and PS4 and UWP are the platforms. (Maybe not PS4, but UWP.)

I

IvanTheAce

Hi Red Fox

I don't think photo realistic graphics are really possible with Gamemaker studio 2, the 3D functionality in GMS 2 is really rudimentary with more Doom (the original) style graphics. If you want a free development kit with great graphics I would recommend the following for you:
Unity 3D.
Unreal Development Kit
Cry Engine
These engines were made for 3D game development with a lot of options for higher fidelity graphics than what you could achieve with GMS 2.

Regards

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
People have made mine craft clones with gms though.

I think the main point is that making a 3D game with gms is like shoveling with a stick.

Where unity and so on is a leatherman of pickaxes, shovels and machinery.

Last edited:

chamaeleon

As it sounds like he does not own 1.4 and the export modules, and is not interested in going for 2.0 it doesn't really matter what 1.4 is or is not capable of as he won't be able to acquire the export modules nor buy the pro version of 1.4. unless there is some caveat to this involving steam (but I have not seen any references that indicate that is the case). In short 2.0 is required if he wants to export to additional platforms as he states.

As far as nice looking 3d is concerned there is of course not really any support for creating content in gamemaker. You have the raw primitives, shader and related things, but to do anything really complex would involve creating supporting tools. At which point a system more suited to it may be a better choice.

Genetix

The biggest problem is that the description still seems extremely vague - can GMS do it? Absolutely, but the level of skill you'll need is going to be very high, and the actual concept will have to broken down into a thousand smaller ideas and questions. It will be a lot of either way, but definitely possible.

T

ThunkGames

Hey, everyone! This is my first forum post. Now, I wanna know how to make a 3D game. Yeah, I have to use GML. Also, for cross-platform publishing, is GML supported? I'm just asking. I have Game Maker: Studio (Steam version), and I'd like to learn the fundamentals of a 3D game. Any help would be much appreciated, have a great day and adios!
This is impossible to do with Game Maker. If this is your first game, maybe don't start so grand.

Games like these take large teams working long hours for a long time.

If you want to get into 3D development I'd recommend Unreal Engine. The blueprint system is easy to use yet powerful, and the asset store is robust if you want affordable models, etc.

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

Hi Red Fox

I don't think photo realistic graphics are really possible with Gamemaker studio 2, the 3D functionality in GMS 2 is really rudimentary with more Doom (the original) style graphics. If you want a free development kit with great graphics I would recommend the following for you:
Unity 3D.
Unreal Development Kit
Cry Engine
These engines were made for 3D game development with a lot of options for higher fidelity graphics than what you could achieve with GMS 2.

Regards
Thanks, but it would all be about texturing and lighting right? That's possible, isn't it?

This is impossible to do with Game Maker. If this is your first game, maybe don't start so grand.

Games like these take large teams working long hours for a long time.

If you want to get into 3D development I'd recommend Unreal Engine. The blueprint system is easy to use yet powerful, and the asset store is robust if you want affordable models, etc.
I've tried Unreal Engine 4, but it doesn\t seem so good. I'd rather use Unity. There's a reason why I'm using Game Maker: Studio, it has a user-friendly environment with a nice and comfortable environment.

As it sounds like he does not own 1.4 and the export modules, and is not interested in going for 2.0 it doesn't really matter what 1.4 is or is not capable of as he won't be able to acquire the export modules nor buy the pro version of 1.4. unless there is some caveat to this involving steam (but I have not seen any references that indicate that is the case). In short 2.0 is required if he wants to export to additional platforms as he states.

As far as nice looking 3d is concerned there is of course not really any support for creating content in gamemaker. You have the raw primitives, shader and related things, but to do anything really complex would involve creating supporting tools. At which point a system more suited to it may be a better choice.
Might even go for Game Maker: Studio 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

ThunkGames

I've tried Unreal Engine 4, but it doesn\t seem so good.
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yours is wrong. Speaking as someone who has loads of experience with GM:S and a good bit of experience with UE4, UE4 is hands down 100% no-arguments-can-be-made better than GM:S for making a 3D AAA quality FPS.

If you are trying to make this type of a game in GM:S you are wasting your time.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
While I agree in general that GMS is not a tool to be using for making a 3d FPS, I take exception to this....

This is impossible to do with Game Maker.

If you have the skills and the time to put into using them, then a LOT of things are possible in GameMaker... ;)

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yours is wrong. Speaking as someone who has loads of experience with GM:S and a good bit of experience with UE4, UE4 is hands down 100% no-arguments-can-be-made better than GM:S for making a 3D AAA quality FPS.

If you are trying to make this type of a game in GM:S you are wasting your time.
Yeah, I take it back.

T

ThunkGames

While I agree in general that GMS is not a tool to be using for making a 3d FPS, I take exception to this....
Yeah, I take it back.
Admittedly, I'm considering this discussion in the context of another topic started by this account in which they asked if AAA caliber, 3D FPS games could be made in GM:S.

With this in mind, @Nocturne, imagine either of these two tech demos being shown at something like E3 coming out of a studio like Rockstar. Would people react with anything but disappointment? Also, the developer in the first video (my favorite of the two) said in the comments that the project took him over 70 hours. Meanwhile, you can download UE4, download the free, Epic Games sponsored, HD, photo realistic resources and plop them down over some in-IDE-produced terrain.

Not saying that you can't make good 3D games in GM:S. You certainly, 100% can. And I won't say trying to make a 3D, AAA caliber, FPS with a one person development team using only GM:S isn't admirable. It is. Just saying that I wouldn't advise it.

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

If you have the skills and the time to put into using them, then a LOT of things are possible in GameMaker... ;)
:)

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

Admittedly, I'm considering this discussion in the context of another topic started by this account in which they asked if AAA caliber, 3D FPS games could be made in GM:S.

With this in mind, @Nocturne, imagine either of these two tech demos being shown at something like E3 coming out of a studio like Rockstar. Would people react with anything but disappointment? Also, the developer in the first video (my favorite of the two) said in the comments that the project took him over 70 hours. Meanwhile, you can download UE4, download the free, Epic Games sponsored, HD, photo realistic resources and plop them down over some in-IDE-produced terrain.

Not saying that you can't make good 3D games in GM:S. You certainly, 100% can. And I won't say trying to make a 3D, AAA caliber, FPS with a one person development team using only GM:S isn't admirable. It is. Just saying that I wouldn't advise it.
Well, I'm more of a guy who uses the 3D engine more. Unreal Engine 4 is cool, but I'm using GM:S2 because my computer isn't for gaming or development... yeah. The first one is photorealistic.

R

Red Fox Studios|Game Dev

Is something like this a good start if I use something like PushED?

http://martincrownover.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/animated-water-big.jpg

Ninety

If you want to make a detailed 3D game and you're a beginner, use another engine. It's as simple as that. The examples Nocturne gave, while cool, are the product of dozens, sometimes even over a hundred hours of work by skilled programmers, and even they struggle to measure up (graphically) to stuff from 2004. There are other engines around that have 3D texturing and lighting built-in, a 3D room editor, GameMaker is not well-suited to 3D work in 99% of cases and we really need, collectively, to stop pretending otherwise.

More broadly, making a "photorealistic third-person shooter for PS4" as your first 3D game is completely infeasible, I suggest you start with a smaller, more workable project. If the scope is tight enough, and you're willing to learn, it could be a suitable project is you really want to work with GM.