Windows Game Desgin Help

K

Kevinnick12

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any assets or any tutorials on how to make a game like Hollow Knight. I primarily need help with setting up the levels and setting up camera. If anyone has information that could help me I would love to check it out

Thank you,

Kevin Patel

rIKmAN

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any assets or any tutorials on how to make a game like Hollow Knight. I primarily need help with setting up the levels and setting up camera. If anyone has information that could help me I would love to check it out

Thank you,

Kevin Patel
Shaun Spalding has platformer tutorials for both GMS 1.4 and GMS2.

You aren't going to have made Hollow Knight at the end of them, but they will give you a good understanding of the various mechanics and controls involved in creating a platformer game which you can then build on as you grow in experience.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There's quite a lot more that goes into making a metroidvania (HK's genre), apart from making a functional platformer you need to think about stuff like...
  • How do I make the player figure out where to go next while still making it feel like they're exploring unknown territory instead of checking off a checklist?
  • If the game is story based, how do I make sure the player can't find unintended shortcuts to see events out of order?
  • Are the upgrades fun to use and feel rewarding?
  • How do I make sure the player doesn't get trapped in an unescapable situation due to missing a required upgrade?
  • How do I make each area feel different?
  • How do I make exploration feel fun and rewarding?
You might enjoy the ongoing season of Boss Keys, which is going through the most famous metroidvanias starting with Metroid 1... it's more on the game design side than the code side, but you need both to make good games, after all.