Suggestion Game Creation Tools (GMS and/or non-GMS) section in forums

I loved the old section in the Legacy forums that permitted users to post softwares and tools for game creation. For example, I created this tool GMSTool, but I have no place to put it besides the "Off topic" forum. I'm sure that plenty other people have different tools that others could use to make their life easier. For example, Paint.Net, Greenfish Icon Editor Pro, which are all free and those are just some of the one I use. Some others may also developpe their own tools and would like to share them.

It would be nice to sort the tools out in 2 major sections, paid and free. Of course, the tools and softwares should only be usefull in a game creation environnement. For example, LibreOffice or Angry IP would not be relevant to the forum, although a VERY small portion could be used for game creation and even if these tools are usefull, they are not linked to game creation, that is, drawing, programming, tiling, effects, particles, 3D, etc...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Tools that can be used along with GMS for art, or tilesets, or particles, etc... would simply go in the Completed Games section. There just isn't enough of them around to warrant a unique forum and I am dead set against having a load of half-dead sub-forums like the old GMC.

Although, that said, the ideal situation is to add any tools you make as included files to GMS and simply upload them to the Marketplace, then post in the MP forum. You'll get more downloads, as more people will see them, and you even have the possibility of selling them that way.

As I can understand then is that I can sell or give, on the GM marketplace, non-GMS creations using GMS asset packages? And when I talk about tools, I mean already existing programs also, Like Paint.Net, as I mentionned or Greenfish Icon Editor or even Greeshot for screen capture. I would find that really usefull for people to have that kind of forum where user created or not, tools would be available.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Non custom 3rd party tools like you mention can be posted in the Game Design and Development forum. Feel free to make a topic compiling a list of different tools and if it gets enough replies or tools added to it I'll pin it. I can see it being handy... :)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Tools that can be used along with GMS for art, or tilesets, or particles, etc... would simply go in the Completed Games section.
Just so there's no confusion... you mean tools made with GameMaker could be posted in the Made with GameMaker forum, right? Whereas, non-GM software should not be posted there, even if it's useful for game making.

I assume you mean that non-GM software tools could be added to the list you referred to above (i.e. in post), rather than with their own topic.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just so there's no confusion... you mean tools made with GameMaker could be posted in the Made with GameMaker forum, right? Whereas, non-GM software should not be posted there, even if it's useful for game making.

I assume you mean that non-GM software tools could be added to the list you referred to above (i.e. in post), rather than with their own topic.
Yep, exactly! If it's made in GMS or for GMS then they can make Completed Games topic or a Marketplace asset and topic. If it's from a third party and is a general tool, then it should be in GDD&D.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A better place I'd advise putting general tools in is the Tutorials section.

If it's useful but not obvious enough for average users to apply with minimal aid, you may as well teach how to use it or the mention won't do much good. For example, Wireshark is indispensable when developing networked games, but few around here know how to put it to good use.